NHL'94 Forums

Winter Classic Announcement

orangeblack92

If you guys have not heard yet, on January 1 2011 there will be two games outdoors. First will be the Peguins and the Capitals at Heinz Field. The second game will have the Flames and Canadiens in Calgary's football stadium. In may opinion, Gary Bettman made this announcement two months early because he need the Penguins in the news 24/7, and he is not satisfied with the teams that are currently in the Finals. Just another reason I do not like thae man.

I believe the second game is not until sometime in february....but yeah cool stuff!

I hate gary bettman arrhhg! on hockey day in canada why not have the usual triple header but all outdoors .f$%# i hate gary bettman ,CANADA is where hockey lives and breathes and having vancouver at calgary,ottawa at edm and tor vs montreal all outdoors would be fricken unreal then give them damn americans there pitts vs wash on jan 1st and everyone is happy and its a glorious hockey day in canada in february.i HATE GARY BETTMAN!!!!!

The CGY-MTL game sounds intriguing, but the PIT-WAS game is starting to get tiring. As long as NBC has rights to the Winter Classic (and NHL games in general, there will be no Canadian/Western Conference team west of Detroit or Chicago involved. I think Ottawa-Washington (both nation's capitals) or Montreal/Toronto-New York (O6 teams) would be interesting WC match-ups. This matchup is great for East Coasters and NHL newcomers, but I feel that some of the core NHL fans are getting sick of it.

Love the winter classic and I think it's good for both the neutral viewer, but you're right, this is mostly for the newcomer.

PIT @ BUF

DET @ CHI

PHI @ BOS - ironic

and now

WAS @ PIT

It's not terrible, but the profile of the event has been raised by the last two games. Playing at Heinz Field is boring. Watching those two teams play again is boring. I think the NHL wanted that as the dream Eastern Conference Finals matchup and didn't get it, so they Winter Classicked it.

It's confusing, but there are a LOT of things they could do to make it more interesting AND have a positive impact on the league. How about DET @ CMB at the Ohio State stadium? Columbus gets some press for the first time, well, ever. Or (this isn't original) PHI v PIT at Penn State?

Admittedly, there aren't many US teams which can truly "celebrate" winter.

Love the winter classic and I think it's good for both the neutral viewer, but you're right, this is mostly for the newcomer.

PIT @ BUF

DET @ CHI

PHI @ BOS - ironic

and now

WAS @ PIT

It's not terrible, but the profile of the event has been raised by the last two games. Playing at Heinz Field is boring. Watching those two teams play again is boring. I think the NHL wanted that as the dream Eastern Conference Finals matchup and didn't get it, so they Winter Classicked it.

It's confusing, but there are a LOT of things they could do to make it more interesting AND have a positive impact on the league. How about DET @ CMB at the Ohio State stadium? Columbus gets some press for the first time, well, ever. Or (this isn't original) PHI v PIT at Penn State?

Dude, Flyers and Penguins at Beaver Stadium would be the largest attendance to attend a hockey game, ever. That stadium holds 110,000 people, I would know because I have been there and will be attending the school come september. Anyways I was dreaming for something like this since the winter classic began.

This was obviously the best move for the NHL from a business perspective. The game is on NBC, and pens/caps appeals to the most casual viewers, which is what I believe the winter classic is about. On a side note, this is about to be sick and I am definately going to be there :D

PIT @ BUF

DET @ CHI

PHI @ BOS - ironic

and now

WAS @ PIT

The Bears, Browns and Packers would like to talk to you about that, Statto. Or at least the Packers; the Browns and Bears have to win to enjoy them more.

My ideas for future Winter Classic places:

- Soldier Field: It'd be pretty great to do a WC on one of the last standing great stadiums in sports. My one proviso is that it should be done with 2 Classic Six teams, and one of them must be the Blackhawks.

- Lambeau Field: - Frozen Tundra + sweet white snow x great atmosphere and fans = WIN

- Cleveland (Forgot the name of the field): The Dawg Pound could use some hockey enjoyment. I think it's a nice place to have a WC.

Guest Wags13

Quit crying you f*cking babies, when your team has Crosby, Malkin, etc. you'll get the Winter Classic.. nobody wants to watch a bunch of midgets on skates or goons play on New Years Day..

I'll give you guys a live report from Heinz

Quit crying you f*cking babies, when your team has Crosby, Malkin, etc. you'll get the Winter Classic.. nobody wants to watch a bunch of midgets on skates or goons play on New Years Day..

Cause everyone wants to watch Bill Guerin and Ruslan Fedotenko.

I believe the Rangers own one, maybe Rangers vs Toronto soon?

Cause everyone wants to watch Bill Guerin and Ruslan Fedotenko.

I believe the Rangers own one, maybe Rangers vs Toronto soon?

That's pretty acceptable. As a twist, the game must be done in Ralph Wilson Stadium. :(:D:D Those who have seen NFL games in the past few years will know what I'm talking about.

yeah these guys were so exciting to watch in the 2nd round :(

Guest Wags13

Who are the midgets playing, where are the midgets Cup? Oh sorry

The NBA has the same three teams (Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics) on every Christmas Day and nobody whines.. don't hate because the Pens get the ratings.

Wags: I'm not going to argue on this, based on the views on a channel that tought that Figure Skating was more important than Olympic Hockey.

This is the sole reason why I hate NBC sports, it should be called the title IX channel. I would much rather have nhl on ABC again.

Guest Wags13
Wags: I'm not going to argue on this, based on the views on a channel that tought that Figure Skating was more important than Olympic Hockey.

Um, did you ask yourself the question - why?

RATINGS is why! NBC paid billions of dollars for the rights to broadcast the Olympics, and sells advertising to make a profit, in order to sell advertising they have to broadcast what gets them ratings, otherwise the companies involved don't pay NBC... do you understand basic business?

RATINGS are the same reason why the NHL selected Pittsburgh again, people want to watch Crosby and Malkin play, and NBC sells that to the advertisers who sponsor the game.. like I said before, nobody wants to watch a bunch of 4 foot tall guys with blue and red jerseys on skate outside or watch a bunch of orange and black sweater wearing goons skate outside either.. no RATINGS no game.

nobody wants to watch a bunch of 4 foot tall guys with blue and red jerseys on skate outside or watch a bunch of orange and black sweater wearing goons skate outside either.. no RATINGS no game.

And by no one you mean those lazy Americans Buttman is trying to appeal to.

Any two Canadian teams/rivalry would get tons of views.

And lest we forget, Philly vs Boston in the previous Classic was well recieved, so therein lies the flaw of the logic. Let's not also forget the Detroit v Chicago game too.

Guest Wags13

Last time I checked, increasing hockey's popularity in Canada is pretty low on Bettman's list... and sorry, that hot Edmonton/Calgary rivalry isn't getting anybody wet with anticipation...and I'm sorry Iceguy, outside of Chicago, the other three teams you say had well received outdoor games don't have close to the star power that Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin bring.

It would be hilarious if Crosby, Malin and Ovechkin we're injured for that game :lol:

I never watch this tho, its fkn new years day

Last time I checked, increasing hockey's popularity in Canada is pretty low on Bettman's list... and sorry, that hot Edmonton/Calgary rivalry isn't getting anybody wet with anticipation...and I'm sorry Iceguy, outside of Chicago, the other three teams you say had well received outdoor games don't have close to the star power that Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin bring.

LOL yeah Wings are sooo bad, and so are the Flyers, in the final atm while the pens golfing since 2 weeks

btw, Zetterberg is the player with the most Pts in the playoff since the lock-out, but hey, he doesent play in any commercials for NBC and that's prolly how you recognize a good player so...And i guess a 6 times Norris Champion is also not a star in Wags' book of WACKNESS B)

Edited by Freydey

two canadian teams would generate zero interest in the US. Clearly canadians will tune in either way, so the only logical business move to generate the most sponsor interest and revenue for the league would be to have the NHLs top two superstars in the game. He knows dumb Canadians have nothing better to do and will tune in no matter what, shaftman.

two canadian teams would generate zero interest in the US. Clearly canadians will tune in either way, so the only logical business move to generate the most sponsor interest and revenue for the league would be to have the NHLs top two superstars in the game. He knows dumb Canadians have nothing better to do and will tune in no matter what, shaftman.

Shhht go watch american idle B)

I can't really understand what the debate is.

The two greatest superstars in the game are playing head to head so they can better sell the game in the US...the way it should be.

And to cater to Canadian fans, we'll have our own outdoor game for hockey day in Canada (cal vs mtl)...the way it should be.

doesn't everyone win?

Guest Wags13
You Americans are ruining the game of hockey.

LOL pretty funny statement considering the Canadian clutch and grab style literally killed hockey's popularity in the early to mid 1990's and the sport lost its major tv network with ESPN, had its strike as a result, has been trying to recover ever since. Even Canadian Lemieux called it a "garage league" because it got so bad.. Hockey won't survive without American support- get real.

Edited by Wags13