NHL'94 Forums

AOL problems, no contact with others and...

RedWingDevil

Lately, AOL has been in a serious bender during the past week and I had always been forced to change my password in order to avoid whatever suspicious activity that may have raided my account, but it was nothing more than a temporary measure that did not last 24 hours and so this has become a rather terrible problem since AOL is the only means I have in contacting everybody and I don't have everyone on Hamachi to talk to as an alternative chat option.

It's been rather tough for me to get a hold of people without going through this huge issue and I have also entered a large slump as well. I don't know how else do I contact everyone on the leagues and I'm hoping that with a new AOL account, the problem should at least be remedied in some way,

The problem? AOL.com really screwed the pooch on this one and when I set up a new account, something happened and I have to wait a full 24 hours to try this again. In other words, s**t has happened.

On top of that, I've been feeling rather burned out lately with all that has gone on and I think my passion isn't quite the same as when I first got into this community for the first time. It's possible that I may be contemplating a temporary retirement and cool off from leagues for a while. That, and the aforementioned AOL problem doesn't help out much. If anyone here is thinking why I haven't popped in AOL much, now you know the reason. I may also have to either clean up my laptop or get a new one, which is another thing I am considering.

I wanted to post this so that everyone knows what's going on.

this community uses AOL chat because Prodigy and Compuserve are too cumbersome, right?

I too have been having problems with AIM the last two weeks. I've had to change my password like 5-6 times...quite annoying because I have to wait 15 minutes to sign back on. It sucks because I'm usually trying to get some games in. I emailed them...its been okay the last few days. Still, super annoying.

I heard that AOL can get hacked quite easily and it has many issues. You'd probably get laughed at and be called an old man just because you use AOL.

Then again, people can also be jerks.

You can import all AIM contacts into Google Talk/Chat - the only thing you can't do is import the groups.

If anything, it would serve as a great backup.

With more people on Google, perhaps we could work on a Google+ Hangout (Chat/Video/Screenshare).

there is always irc.bladerock.net #NHL94 and I've read good things about Mumble.

Yeah, we should really consider these options because no one should go through such a thing.

Sorry it took this long for an update, but I managed to open up a new account this morning because I did not want to go through that same bug that prevented me from creating it again in the afternoon.

My new AIM handle is OneTimer1983 now. Just add me there or I'll add you; either way is fine as long as the games get done.

Once again, I apologize for whatever problems this has caused and hopefully there won't be any issues. But if AOL gets hacked and slashed again and I put up with this crap, that's it. Either I want everyone else to use a different IM app or I'm gone. I know you guys are not lazy, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by RedWingDevil

Either I want everyone else to use a different IM app or I'm gone. I know you guys are not lazy, so it shouldn't be a problem.

lol, We will all use a different service or you could just change your password to something other than "password" so you don't get hacked.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, I've tried different passwords. They last awhile before someone manages to crack them and then the cycle begins anew.

A new development is that my mother has a bum right arm; a small bone broke when she had an unlucky spill in the house, so she'll be nursing it and I'll have to help out a lot since last week. Some of the load will be released for a bit coming next week, so at best I'll try to play in the afternoons. A busy month of recuperation is ahead.

So I thank everyone beforehand for the understanding and that also goes to pretty much any other league I'm involved in.

Well, I've been putting some thought after a while and this wasn't exactly an easy choice to make, but I had to do it.

I don't feel like myself for these past few months and I've started to lose it. I feel that I've really come down with a big slump and tried as I might, the frustration keeps piling up and what's more, I'm dragging things down in a way that may cause things not to work out in the leagues I'm in.

I've been very burned out lately and it pretty much shows. Before I really do something bad I'd regret later, I'm going to have to lighten a huge load right now and I hope people will understand what I'm going to do now. I must resign on Classic Gens, GDL and NHL 13 FDL because I feel that I'm responsible for not making enough games and things have gotten really rough around here due to this. I've handled many things wrong and I don't want to drag these 3 leagues due to my problems, so feel free to replace me with a more capable coach that's ready to step up and perhaps do a much better job than I have.

The only leagues I'll be doing from here will be Classic SNES and Blitz. It's time for me to take 5, start moving on and think about things. My own style of play has become archaic and obsolete and it's been very tough to catch up with the new competition. It has been a very tiring journey for me and I'll settle down with a lighter load. To everyone involved who has played with me and put up with my shenanigans, I extend my sincerest apologies and thanks for the time they took for the leagues. It's been rather fun and I feel responsible for causing problems that you may have with me. I don't know if I'll return to be as active as I was, but for now this is for the best. I think it's the right thing to do.

Smell ya later, guys!

Edited by RedWingDevil

Well, I've been putting some thought after a while and this wasn't exactly an easy choice to make, but I had to do it.

I don't feel like myself for these past few months and I've started to lose it. I feel that I've really come down with a big slump and tried as I might, the frustration keeps piling up and what's more, I'm dragging things down in a way that may cause things not to work out in the leagues I'm in.

I've been very burned out lately and it pretty much shows. Before I really do something bad I'd regret later, I'm going to have to lighten a huge load right now and I hope people will understand what I'm going to do now. I must resign on Classic Gens, GDL and NHL 13 FDL because I feel that I'm responsible for not making enough games and things have gotten really rough around here due to this. I've handled many things wrong and I don't want to drag these 3 leagues due to my problems, so feel free to replace me with a more capable coach that's ready to step up and perhaps do a much better job than I have.

The only leagues I'll be doing from here will be Classic SNES and Blitz. It's time for me to take 5, start moving on and think about things. My own style of play has become archaic and obsolete and it's been very tough to catch up with the new competition. It has been a very tiring journey for me and I'll settle down with a lighter load. To everyone involved who has played with me and put up with my shenanigans, I extend my sincerest apologies and thanks for the time they took for the leagues. It's been rather fun and I feel responsible for causing problems that you may have with me. I don't know if I'll return to be as active as I was, but for now this is for the best. I think it's the right thing to do.

Smell ya later, guys!

F@$& THAT S*&$

Smell ya later, guys!

No, you won't be playing Classic SNES. You quit GENS A, you will be removed from SNES as well. That's how it goes. I'll give you a chance to re-evaluate your decision.

blackmail, Chaos? really?

do I understand this correctly? you all insist on Gens, which sucks for those outside the lagzone, so he wants to stop participating in a league stacked against him and enjoy the game on the SNES emulators that suffer from far less disconnecting and you won't let him? people bail on leagues all the time for many reasons. his is as valid as any other, maybe more so. he doesn't focus on the desynching issue in his retirement post above, but he is clearly frustrated playing the Genesis leagues and wants to stop before he acts like an even sorer loser. letting him walk away would benefit everybody. instead, it seems as if you are trying to force him to participate in a league that he cannot maintain a viable connection to -- a league that is angering and frustrating him, causing him to lash out at others -- by withholding acceptance into a separate and different league with which he should have no trouble staying synched? are you flexing power because you enjoy exercising it?

this "community" is totally fucked. I mean no offense, for we are all human, but please be considerate and compassionate. this site needs calm, mature leadership.

Edited by trudatman

do I understand this correctly? you all insist on Gens, which sucks for those outside the lagzone, so he wants to stop participating in a league stacked against him and enjoy the game on the SNES emulators that suffer from far less disconnecting and you won't let him? people bail on leagues all the time for many reasons. his is as valid as any other, maybe more so. he doesn't focus on the desynching issue in his retirement post above, but he is clearly frustrated playing the Genesis leagues and wants to stop before he acts like an even sorer loser. letting him walk away would benefit everybody. instead, it seems as if you are trying to force him to participate in a league that he cannot maintain a viable connection to -- a league that is angering and frustrating him, causing him to lash out at others -- by withholding acceptance into a separate and different league with which he should have no trouble staying synched? are you flexing power because you enjoy exercising it?

this "community" is totally fucked. I mean no offense, for we are all human, but please be considerate and compassionate. this site needs calm, mature leadership.

He is 1st all time in games played on nhl94online with 761. I think he knows what the latency is like by now lol

Go back to SNES world.....

AIM does suck

it is very much antique in today's internet world

I don't mind moving to a new platform. I was part of the original crew who decided to use AIM. And it has worked well because it is seperate from our normal everyday IMs (atleast for me). And it is a very light weight application.

Please read his reasons for resigning again:

Nothing in there has anything to do with lag. He's quitting because he has a 3-10 record in GENS-A, and feels it should be better. Please read the post before commenting next time.

Again Iceguy, I'll free your burden by removing you from SNES as well. How about you don't sign up next season either?

Or take a week or 2 off if you want. Then come back and finish the season.

Bottom line: Don't sign up for 2 teams if you can't finish the season.

If there is some dire circumstance that keeps you from playing anymore, then I understand.

The excuse of "burnt out" doesn't work when you want to quit some leagues, but stay in others.

As far as Kega, I don't care what emulator is used to play the games. As long as both coaches agree, no big deal. I'll do some tests between seasons and see if there is a big difference, then we can make Kega the default emulator. Use Gens, Kega, or go over each other's house and play the games. Just play it.

AIM does suck

it is very much antique in today's internet world

I don't mind moving to a new platform. I was part of the original crew who decided to use AIM. And it has worked well because it is seperate from our normal everyday IMs (atleast for me). And it is a very light weight application.

Exactly. I'm not adding you mofapes to my gtalk/msn :P

Kega is good,

but there was an issue where it would desync every game. So it was unusable.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. We were starting to switch to Kega, then he released a new version, and we couldn't play anymore, so that was that, back to Gens. Plus the screen size restriction is just so lame.

A week off may be all I need, chaos. I promise I'll try to mop up the season very soon and I hope I won't let you guys down.

was it the other Mexican dude that was having desynch troubles?

I don't know. For the most part, LA Robbie and I do manage to get some good games when we connect each other. It does take some effort, though.

Okay, I'l back again. I'm not dead or anything, so you guys hit me up from everywhere, okay? Let's get this going!