NHL'94 Forums

ROM Stats and Oddities

- Prelude - 

Here are some interesting stats plucked from the Genesis ROM.  Feel free to add your own below. As they come in, I will add to this post and credit you. ;)
Contributors so far: Smoz, Chaos, and Kingraph.

NOTE 1: In case you have not reached Grand Wizard Nerd Status (GWNS) yet, the attributes are from 0-6, not 0-99 as they appear in the game.  For an explanation of the logic behind this, and your first step towards full on GWNS, see Kingraph's writeup here: http://nhl94strategy.com/?page_id=26
NOTE 2: Atomic Raven created a nifty tool to compare player stats. Very handy for drafting squads.  See: https://nhl94rocks.com/comparePlayer.php

- ROM Stats & Oddities - 

0 Stickhandling ("Mr. Goose-egg")
Only one person has this lowly designation.  Defensemen Greg Smyth of Calgary is record holder for lowest Stickhandling in the entire ROM.  Congrats, Greg.  (I have never heard of the dude, to be honest.)
The poor guy is rated the lowest in the game at 30 overall.  He has zeroes in many attributes, actually:

Name Team Weight Chk ShP ShA Spd Agl Stk Pass OffA DefA
Greg Smyth CGY 10 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0

Rumor has it Greg Smyth never saw the ice at all, and was only on the squad to begin with because of Flame's Coach Dave King losing a bar room bet to Pat Quinn over some obscure and long forgotten topic.

6 Shot Power
Many know this:  Only one forward has 6 shot power.  Of course, it is Brett Hull of The Saints of Louis town.  A few defenseman have mega shots, but only one forward.

5 Shot Power
This is a rare stat, for forwards and defensemen.  In total: 9 forwards have SP of 5 or better, and 10 defensemen have SP of 5 or better.
There are some quirks associated with it, too.
There are three forwards sporting a 5/5 shot power/shot accuracy (JR is one, naturally), five with 5/3, yet none with 5/6 or even 5/4.  Strange, no?  The infuriating Mike Modano gets a special mention, with his 5 shot power blast paired with a lowly 2 accuracy: this 5/2 is unique among forwards.

Seeing Eye Shooters
It is common to have a hard shot that is not accurate, especially for defensemen.  A couple forwards have the reverse: soft shots, that are still insanely accurate.  Michel Goulet (CHI) and Petr Nedved (VAN) have 2/5 and 2/6 Shot Power/Shot Accuracies respectively.  For me it conjures up the Bugs Bunny "slow ball". I imagine goalies whiffing multiple times at a soft lob of Nedved's that inevitably, and super frustratingly, finds the twine.

See: Bugs Bunny Slow Ball

6 Checking
Only one person has the top spot of 6 checking: Ray Bourque (BOS).  He is also the only D-man that has a real blast that is still accurate: 5/5 shot power/shot accuracy.  Bottom line: the dude is special!
Fun Fact: Ray Bourque was  a stunt double for actor, Dan Lauria, the dad from the hit TV Show "The Wonder Years" which ran from 1988-1993. wonder-years.png

3 Weight
Only two (non-goalie) flyweights in the game at 3 weight: Theo Fleury (CGY) and Andrei Kovalenko (QUE).
Zero defensemen are this light.
For goalies, there are some dudes even lighter, but only Daniel Berthiaume (OTW) comes in at an almost gravity defying 1! 

Same Stat Across board
Besides weight, Kirk Muller (MLT), Stephen Heinze (BOS), and Randy McKay (NJ) are all 4s, 3s, and 2s, across the board, stats-wise.

Kirk Muller MTL 9 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
Stephen Heinze BOS 6 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
Randy McKay NJ 6 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

Area 51
Only one speedster is cursed with 1 agility: Randy Wood (BUF) has 5 speed and 1 agility.  If he makes a slight turn at top speed this hotrod collapses to the ice like a was hit by a sniper.

Club 66: The Dirk Danglers
There are three Dangle Wizards, with 6 agility and 6 stickhandling:
Gretz (LA), Paul Coffee (DET), Phil Housley (WPG).  On reflection it seems odd that 2 of the 3 are D-men?

Club 66: The Anti-Randy Woodster
There is only one dude with a 6 speed and 6 agility in the whole ROM: Alexander Mogilny (BUF)!  Rumour has it, even though he played on the same team as Randy Wood, there was a direct order to never share the ice at the same time.  If the two came into physical contact with one another there would be an explosion equivalent to 100 Hiroshima bombs!  (I checked on youtube, and even on the bench the two can always be seen at opposite ends, like bookends.)

Short Names & Accidental Misspellings
A few dudes have names too long for the system, and got shortened.  Looks like there was a 10 character max for last names. (Not sure about first name limit, as there aren't many to compare.) At least a couple dudes have a name accidentally mispelled.

Shorty List *

1. Vladimir Konstantinov (DET) - Konstantov
  2. Glen Featherstone (BOS) - Feathrston
  3. John Vanbiesbrouck (NYR) - Vanbiesbrk
  4. Mark Fitzpatrick (FLA) - Fitzpatrik
  5. Frank Pietrangelo (HFD) - Pietrngelo
  6. Rene Chapdelaine (LA) - Chapdlaine
  7. Scott Niedermayer (NJ) - Niedrmayer
  8. Alexander Semak (NJ) - Alexandr
  9. Peter Sidorkiewicz (OTW) - Sidorkwicz
  10. Peter Taglianetti (PIT) - Taglianeti
  11. Mike Krushelnyski (TOR) - Krushelski
  12. Nikolai Borschevsky (TOR) - Borshevsky
  13. Ken Baumgartner (TOR) - Baumgartnr
  14. Steve Konowalchuk (WSH) - Konowlchuk
  15. Alexander Mogilny (BUF) - Alexnder 

Misspelled List

1. Dmitri Yushkevich (PHI) - Dimitri Yushkevich (the ROM added an "i" to first name)
  2. Grigori Panteleev (BOS) - Gregori Pantaleyev (Wrong first and last names) **

* This list was originally based on Kingraph's thread here: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/17201-nhl94-twitter-accounts/&tab=comments#comment-171092

** Grigori Panteleev is the only name uncovered that is misspelled twice: his first and last names are wrong in the ROM.  Note, after some online sleuthing, it was determined that the last name was a genuine ROM error, where as his first name was first changed from "Gregori" to "Grigori" on his New Jersey state driver's license in 1998, after the ROM was made, likely to more closely mimic the true Russian transliteration.

Doppelgangers
There are some players with exact same attributes, or very close to the exact same, but different names/teams...

Reichel and Sanderson
First, there is Robert Reichel (CGY) and Geoff Sanderson (HFD).  The same dude, but with different passing stat. We'll call that a Grade 1 Doppelganger. (Only 1 stat being off by one point is "1 degree of separation" making it "Grade 1".)  They are both forwards and both shoot Left, too.

Robert Reichel CGY 6 2 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 3
Geoff Sanderson CGY 6 2 4 4 4 4 4 3 4 3

Ellet and Manson
Dave Ellet and Dave Manson are Grade 2 Doppelgangers (Passing and Defensive Awareness both off by 1, totaling 2 degrees of separation) but even share the same first name, handedness, and play D.

Dave Ellet CGY 6 2 4 4 4 4 4 3 4 5
Dave Manson CGY 6 2 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

Muller and Linden
Kirk Muller and Trevor Linden are almost identical.  They just shoot different (Muller left, Linden Right) and Muller has slightly higher checking. So Grade 2 Doppelgangers. 

Kirk Muller MTL 9 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
Trevor Linden VAN 9 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

I am still looking for the perfect Doppelganger "Unicorn": exact same stats, including handedness and position, across the board.  I know it is out there.

In my dreams there is the "Golden Unicorn".  Same stats across the board, same position, handedness, and even number! (This is a legend, like Bigfoot. And I do not think it exists.  But I am using some of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, crunching numbers 24/7, looking over the ROM to see if a Golden Unicorn is fact or fantasy.)

...To be continued...

Edited by aqualizard
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, smozoma said:

5 Speed, 1 Agility

The one and only NHL94 hotrod, Randy Wood

Yes!  If he veers left or right when approaching top speed dude blows a tire and collapses in a heap! :P

Kirk Muller is 4s across the board.

There are 5 players with 6 Shot Accuracy: 

- 4 of them (Mario, Lindros, Khristich, Robitaille) have 4 Shot Power.

- 1 of them (Petr Nedved) has 2 Shot Power.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:17 PM, chaos said:

Kirk Muller is 4s across the board.

There are 5 players with 6 Shot Accuracy: 

- 4 of them (Mario, Lindros, Khristich, Robitaille) have 4 Shot Power.

- 1 of them (Petr Nedved) has 2 Shot Power.

Nice!  I can't believe I missed Muller!

For Nedved, I think I will put him in a category with Michel Goulet "Mismatched Shots". Goulet has almost the opposite of Nedved: 2 SP and 5 SA.  There must be other weird shooters out there?  Edit: Oops. Not opposite. Same dang thing!

I will add your items to the first post later. ;)  Edit: Done.

Edited by aqualizard

About Bourque's 5 shot accuracy:

They "broke their own rules" in giving him that rating. Shot Accuracy in the game is extremely closely tied to the the player's actual shooting percentage in the 92-93 season. That's why Gretzky has a lowly 2 ShA, because he had an extremely off-year, with an 11.3% Sh% (17.5% over the previous 5 years, 19.9% in his career up to that point). That's also why defensemen across the board have terrible shooting accuracies, because they used the same scale for D as for F. But Bourque despite scoring only 19 goals and a shooting percent of 5.8% was given a 5 accuracy because he won the shooting accuracy drill at the all star game in both 92 and 93, going 4-for-4 both times.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Club 66: The Dirk Danglers

:D

20 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Short Names

More shortened names: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/17201-nhl94-twitter-accounts/&do=findComment&comment=171092

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

They "broke their own rules" in giving him that rating. Shot Accuracy in the game is extremely closely tied to the the player's actual shooting percentage in the 92-93 season. That's why Gretzky has a lowly 2 ShA, because he had an extremely off-year, with an 11.3% Sh% (17.5% over the previous 5 years, 19.9% in his career up to that point). That's also why defensemen across the board have terrible shooting accuracies, because they used the same scale for D as for F. But Bourque despite scoring only 19 goals and a shooting percent of 5.8% was given a 5 accuracy because he won the shooting accuracy drill at the all star game in both 92 and 93, going 4-for-4 both times.

They definitely broke some rules there especially as it didn't apply to other players of a like situation.  For example, Sergei Federov not being a 6 or a 5 speed.  Yet, he won fastest skater in 1992 and 1994.  He also won hardest shot in 2002 and back in 1994, was known for it.  In the 90s, he was even used on the PP point back when teams often went 3 FWD/2 D.  

Regarding Gretzky, he did have an off year that year but, he was also sidelined with a back injury so he deserved a little pass given the past and the fact that he was great again in 1994 (38 goals/130 points).  Plus, 65 points (16 goals) in 45 games (1992-93) is pretty darn good.  So, while I understand the logic behind the ratings structure, it was definitely an oddity that he didn't get a pass (slight bump) for accuracy.

Edited by Sauce

I'd also note that if there were injuries where the player missed a significant amount of time in a season, their attributes were not affected. Cam Neely played like 10 games a season throughout the 90s and his attributes barely changed each year.

91-92: 9 GP, 9 G, 30% SPCT

92-93: 13 GP, 11 G, 24.4% SPCT 

How can you judge a guy on 9 and 13 GP?

4 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Nice!  I can't believe I missed Muller!

For Nedved, I think I will put him in a category with Michel Goulet "Mismatched Shots". Goulet has almost the opposite of Nedved: 2 SP and 5 SA.  THere must be other weird shooters out there?

I will add your items to the first post later. ;)

I think Al MacInnis has a 6/1 shot pwr/acc?

3 hours ago, smozoma said:

It's also funny he's rated the best D, when he was second in Norris voting that season. (Though he was either 1st or 2nd between 89-90 and 93-94).

Chelios won the Norris in 92-93, and Larry Murphy had the best +/- of Defensemen.

1 hour ago, chaos said:

It's also funny he's rated the best D, when he was second in Norris voting that season. (Though he was either 1st or 2nd between 89-90 and 93-94).

Chelios won the Norris in 92-93, and Larry Murphy had the best +/- of Defensemen.

Thus proving how +/- isn't a very good stat (compared to Corsi or Fenwick) for rating defensive prowess.  Larry Murphy was more of an offensive dman.  He was average in his own zone but playing in Pittsburgh, in the 90s, certainly meant lots of offense and higher +/-.  

Bourque's rating clearly benefits from inflated offensive ratings so I agree with your assessment of him vs Chelios when it comes to who should have been higher.

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1

Sorta of an oddity... Jon Casey.

More the most part, each goalie, in NHL94, when it comes to stick side/glove side rating has a certain structure.  So, 3344 or 4545 or 5566, or 4444 etc. etc.  Basically, either the same 4 numbers or two sets of numbers.  Jon Casey is 2234.  He is the only goalie who was included that way.

Then, there is Bill Ranford, Ron Tugnutt and Ron Knickle.  Ranford is a 4454 and the others are 1112 and 2221.  They are the only goalies besides, Casey, who aren't rated as the same four numbers or two sets of 2 for glove and stick side rating.

Makes you wonder if that was by design or a mistake. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 3:36 PM, aqualizard said:

Short Names

A few dudes have names too long for the system, and got shortened.  Looks like there was a 10 character max. 

I always figured weirder than Beezer's short name was that he can face off against his clone in Florida.
And if Florida plays the other New York team, Fitzpatrick gets to be the back up for both Beezer and Healy, just like back in the pre-Original 6 era.

Weird because they did have a team of clones in NHL Hockey with San Jose [although you couldn't really tell with only player numbers],
but they did a decent job of limiting clones in '93, only to mess up again with Anaheim and Florida a year later.

13 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

I always figured weirder than Beezer's short name was that he can face off against his clone in Florida.
And if Florida plays the other New York team, Fitzpatrick gets to be the back up for both Beezer and Healy, just like back in the pre-Original 6 era.

Weird because they did have a team of clones in NHL Hockey with San Jose [although you couldn't really tell with only player numbers],
but they did a decent job of limiting clones in '93, only to mess up again with Anaheim and Florida a year later.

Yeah, this is a known weird issue, and it has to do when the game was made. SNES does not have the duplicates, and it was released after the Genesis version. So it looks like the game was made around the time of the expansion draft, and they didn't bother removing guys from their previous teams.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, aqualizard said:

Short Names

A few dudes have names too long for the system, and got shortened.  Looks like there was a 10 character max. 

5. Frank Pietrangelo (HFD) - Pietrngelo
  6. Rene Chapdelaine (LA) - Chapdlaine
  7. Scott Niedermayer (NJ) - Niedrmayer
  8. Peter Sidorkiewicz (OTW) - Sidorkwicz
  9. Peter Taglianetti (PIT) - Taglianeti
  10. Mike Krushelnyski (TOR) - Krushelski
  11. Nikolai Borschevsky (TOR) - Borshevsky
  12. Ken Baumgartner (TOR) - Baumgartnr
  13. Steve Konowalchuk (WSH) - Konowlchuk

This list is from Kingraph's thread here: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/17201-nhl94-twitter-accounts/&tab=comments#comment-171092

I believe that Alexander Mogilny (BUF) 's name is shortened too. To Alexnder 

23 hours ago, chaos said:

I believe that Alexander Mogilny (BUF) 's name is shortened too. To Alexnder 

Added it. Thx, Chaos!

Found Alexnder Semak, too.  There is a $1000 bounty on first names, people!  And $500 for last (less rare).

Edited by aqualizard

I just found the reverse of the short names:

The ROM made a mistake and *added* a letter!! (This is worth $10k, if people find another example, btw.)

ROM name: Dimitri Yushkevich

Edit: Found another. And it's a doozy.  Grigori Panteleev is misspelled in first AND last names!! (That's a cool $20k I just made myself.)

I have no idea why finding these name errors is fun, but I think it might somehow tie in to the Easter Egg hunt my wife and I are planning for our kid tomorrow... I just suggested to the wife we nix the easter egg hunt, and instead have the kid pore over the NHL94 rosters for errors! (The wife no longer talking to me at this moment. Fack. :()

Edited by aqualizard
  • Haha 1

Well... Panteleev is an interesting one because it's a Latvian name (Grigorijs Pantelejevs) that was Russified (Григорий Пантелеев) and then Romanized. There are several different ways to convert so Panteleyev, Panteleev and Pantelejev would all be "correct" spellings. IIHF, for example, has rules for how they do it but often it is left to the discretion of the player in an effort to make it closer to the actual pronunciation.

All that said, doesn't seem like there was a whole lot of consistency to how his name was transliterated :lol:

Panteleyev.jpg0000346943.jpgPantaleyev.jpg

0000347869.jpg

Park.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jkline3 said:

Well... Panteleev is an interesting one because it's a Latvian name (Grigorijs Pantelejevs) that was Russified (Григорий Пантелеев) and then Romanized. There are several different ways to convert so Panteleyev, Panteleev and Pantelejev would all be "correct" spellings. IIHF, for example, has rules for how they do it but often it is left to the discretion of the player in an effort to make it closer to the actual pronunciation.

Ahhh!  Thank you for the insights!  :)

Yes, I feel like many of the Russian and Eastern European players may have changed the spelling of their own names, sometimes even after the ROM came out.  Makes things tricky.  All the same, finding errors in this ROM is an important task, and the work must continue.   (I am considering a Patreon account, or possibly a GoFundMe campaign. Maybe both.) :P

Just came across this guy in NHL 98 and figured it might qualify.
We'll call him the Calgary Flames', Cale "Mr. Average" Hulse.

image.png

Coincidentally enough, Right D is also the third position in the list. Too bad James Patrick already took number 3 and he didn't weigh 16 lbs less or he could have gone for the sweep.

4 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

Coincidentally enough, Right D is also the third position in the list. Too bad James Patrick already took number 3 and he didn't weigh 16 lbs less or he could have gone for the sweep.

Heh, thanks for that.  The "clean sweep" you describe is the fabled "Golden Unicorn".  Is it real or myth?  One of the great mysteries of the last 100 years. :P

• Like 1

Great thread!

Re doppelgangers: Muller and Linden are basically lefty/righty mirror images. They have the same weight and stats across the board, except for a few that don't matter much: checking, roughness and aggressiveness. (I noticed you didn't even include the last two stats above).

Nolan and Bellows are also very close. Same weight and handendess, and they only differ a bit in checking and passing. Again, not counting roughness and aggressiveness.

Edited by Bob Kudelski

On 4/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, Bob Kudelski said:

Re doppelgangers: Muller and Linden are basically lefty/righty mirror images. They have the same weight and stats across the board, except for a few that don't matter much: checking, roughness and aggressiveness. (I noticed you didn't even include the last two stats above).

Thanks!  I may add the Muller-Linden Doppelganger to the list.  I added Muller-Linden Doppelganger to the list.

Yeah, I don't count roughness and aggressiveness, because I do not think they come into play.  But!  I believe checking is legit. (If memory serves, it is how often a CPU controlled player checks.  I have seen people mention that Bourque -- the only 6 Checker in the game -- can sometimes be seen going hog wild crushing opponents with CPU hate-rage!)

Edited by aqualizard

On 4/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, aqualizard said:

Yeah, I don't count roughness and aggressiveness, because I do not think they come into play.  But!  I believe checking is legit. (If memory serves, it is how often a CPU controlled player checks. 

I noted that Checking is a rated stat. [As in when the number is in/decreased it likewise affects the player's overall rating] and that it seems to influence a player's ability to execute a check. A 6 will mean that you can Scott Stevens anyone into oblivion while a 0 means you're basically just caressing their shoulders as they brush past you.

Roughness and Aggressiveness don't affect overall rating, but seem to be there to influence preference. I'd always figured that Roughness would influence penchant for taking penalties and throwing hits, where Aggressiveness would be chasing the puck/challenging the shooter type stuff, but I've also heard that Roughness may also be mislabeled from shot/pass preference and Aggressiveness is actually the taking penalties thing.
Makes sense for the aforementioned Bourque with his 5 Roughness [apparently to go with his 6 shot accuracy] and 2 Aggressiveness [didn't take that many penalties]

On a side note: I found another NHL98 "Mr Average" in Edmonton's Ralph Intranuovo.image.png
Look at all of those 3's...
Not quite a perfect clean sweep as the Center position is fifth in the list, although the player number of 3² kind of tries to compensates for that in a mental gymnastics kind of way?

In 94, the checking rating just controls how often AI players will check (but not, as far as I know, how effective the checks are). I don't know about the later games. I made a hack that factors the checking rating into the actual checking, so if you're using a weight bug fixed ROM you might notice that (Ulf Samuelsson becomes a beast).

"Roughness" is actually a mistake by wboy. He guessed it was roughness by noting that finesse players tended to have 0 and tough guys had high values. It turns out it's actually "pass/shoot bias". Finesse guys had 0 because they had a lot of passes, while tough guys tended to have few assists. I have never checked to see if the AI uses this or not.

8 minutes ago, von Ozbourme said:

I noted that Checking is a rated stat. [As in when the number is in/decreased it likewise affects the player's overall rating] and that it seems to influence a player's ability to execute a check. A 6 will mean that you can Scott Stevens anyone into oblivion while a 0 means you're basically just caressing their shoulders as they brush past you.

Roughness and Aggressiveness don't affect overall rating, but seem to be there to influence preference. I'd always figured that Roughness would influence penchant for taking penalties and throwing hits, where Aggressiveness would be chasing the puck/challenging the shooter type stuff, but I've also heard that Roughness may also be mislabeled from shot/pass preference and Aggressiveness is actually the taking penalties thing.
Makes sense for the aforementioned Bourque with his 5 Roughness [apparently to go with his 6 shot accuracy] and 2 Aggressiveness [didn't take that many penalties]

58 minutes ago, smozoma said:

In 94, the checking rating just controls how often AI players will check (but not, as far as I know, how effective the checks are). I don't know about the later games. I made a hack that factors the checking rating into the actual checking, so if you're using a weight bug fixed ROM you might notice that (Ulf Samuelsson becomes a beast).

Huh,
image.jpeg

It could also be that I simply conflated the two, as dudes that are heavy and good at hitting, would obviously also enjoy going around handing out free hits.
Still find it odd that checking preference would affect the player's overall score [as many as 6 points] when shooting and aggression rightly don't.

I will say that I have been spending a lot of time recently, exclusively with the later games and the stats seem to be slightly different. And not just in that a "0" score translates to a 40-44 in-game rating, all 5's is a 100 overall player, and all 6's = 120 overall.

And then there is the mysterious "Unknown" stat for goalies in the 96-98 engine.
image.png
Not sure what this "Unknown" goalie stat is. I've speculated that this might be a goalie's preference to play/freeze the puck after a save, but I'm not positive. Another question mark is "Durability" as I've injured starting goalies by charging them [Osgood seems particularly susceptible], but it's not something that I've been able to check into enough to find a pattern.

12 hours ago, smozoma said:

In 94, the checking rating just controls how often AI players will check (but not, as far as I know, how effective the checks are).

I have noticed, as has @Uncle Seth and others, that the checking ratings seems to factor into the success of C/B checks.  You will see a much higher success rate of CB with Dave Manson (9 wgt, 4 chk) than Paul Coffey (9 wgt, 2 chk).   

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I have noticed, as has @Uncle Seth and others, that the checking ratings seems to factor into the success of C/B checks.  You will see a much higher success rate of CB with Dave Manson (9 wgt, 4 chk) than Paul Coffey (9 wgt, 2 chk).   

Nice tidbit of info here. I think that, in SNES at least, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that the checking rating factors into how hard/effective a player's checks are (not just how often a player will check).