NHL'94 Forums

Battle of Pennsylvania

clockwise

Battle of Pennsylvania, the Keystone Clash.

• Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant.
  • Roy Munson and Earnie McCracken.
  • Little Mac and Mike Tyson.
  • Flyers and Penguins!

The cross state rivalry is renewed this evening at the Igloo with the Flyers and Pens locking horns in the post season for the 4th time in franchise history.

Separated at birth as expansion teams in 1967 they have embraced their differences a combined 236 times, with the Flyers holding the winning record: 129-36-31, including the Flyers winning all 3 playoff series thus far.

As Stanley Cup champions both teams have mirrored each other, winning both of their titles back to back; Penguins in 90-91, 91-92 - Flyers in 73-74, 74-75.

As fans we are so close, yet so far.

The Western Pennsylvanians have a long and storied past, largely consisting of clinging to bibles and guns.

As the steel mecca, Pittsburgh helped the Ameri*CANs establish themselves as the worlds industrial super power, and produced 20% of the worlds steel during world war II - whether or not this ever occurred is subject to debate.

But times have changed, many of the blast furnaces have been cool for years now, leaving the gritty, salt of the earth Northerners, to cling tighter to their guns and bibles.

Yet in their clinging, they have risen up to develop one of the most devastating, artery blocking sandwiches ever devised by man.

The Primanti sandwich contains a variety of meats, on Italian bread, with fries and coleslaw...ON THE BREAD. Yes the whole damn thing on the bread.

But what about the sides? Thankfully the sandwich comes with a side of defibrillator paddles at every table, you can use the mayo on your sandwich to serve as the petroleum jelly for the paddles, and be sure to join the locals with a celebratory "CLEAR" if you ever make the trip (just do it, you don't want to be perceived as an outsider without a gun or bible).

Philadelphians have had many years without a professional sports title to ferment and sour, like fine battery acid.

When the capital of the United States was taken from us - likely due to the savagery of native sports fans - we felt betrayed and cheated as people, as if this wasn't enough to simmer our sauce, the city is the largest in the US - with the longest championship drought; a drought of nearly 25 years, the 76'ers being the last team to win a championship in 1983. BTW Rocky doesn't count...Past parts I and II.

This pent up blue ball frustration; coming so close and not being able to reach the summit, runs deep in the bloodline of the spartan like, blue collar citizens.

Though considered a "tough crowd", and in some cases, "the worst sports fans in the world". This is a largely undeserved reputation. Most people don't know the back story about the throwing of snow balls at Santa Claus during an Eagles game. Or the mating rituals of fans at old Veterans Stadium in the 700 level. Or the logical explanation to that fan who urinated on that womans head in the stands many a year ago.

We feel misunderstood and wrongly accused of being "bad asses". We are just like every one else. Just like you, we work hard every day, and want to come home to a warm house, and a sultry woman, anxious to fix us a hot meal - of deep fried baby bunnies and cocktail sauce.

Like some sort of bizzaro world - 4th dimension of gastronomical ecstasy. We have developed our own sandwich, the world famous Cheese Steak.

People come from far and wide to with high expectations for this Philadelphia institution, and usually leave with even higher cholesterol.

Pat's and Geno's make the best steaks, so naturally they are directly across the street from each other. I hope you eat a Geno's should you ever have the chance and enough and body armor to visit us. Though you can't go wrong with Pat's either. Just say "Wit" at the window and everything will be fine.

I'm going with the Penguins in 6. The loss of Timmonen only further lessens our chances of pulling off yet another upset in this Cinderella season.

Whatever happens it was a great turnaround from last year - our worst as a franchise, and in the league points wise. Either way the cup stays in the USA and a Pennsylvanian team will battle for the rights. Win win situation.

May the best team win!

crosby banger...2-2....

btw clock...awesome writeup....which team is little mac?(just wondering because i could never beat tyson)

philly's doing a good job loading up bodies in the slot...making things difficult for fleury

haha. what a goal by malkin, the 10 foot slapper. i bet he does that in practice. people were wondering why he was so slow on that penalty shot on lundqvist, but i was pretty sure he knew what he was doing. goalie's can't react that fast. he just missed his aim on the penalty shot, got it too high, hit the glove. lundqvist didn't move. the goalie has no chance if you hit it from that close, hit your target, and don't give your target away when shooting.

which team is little mac?(just wondering because i could never beat tyson)

Right now it looks like this,

(Penguins) Bald Bull: "Doc can't help you now. Will you beg me for help?"

(Flyers) Don Flamenco: "People like my hair. Don't mess my hair!"

• 10 months later...

Yipeee another Philly Pens Series,

I think the flyers will mash up the pens Physicalli and run away with the series, then they loose to Washington in 2nd round while New Jersey looses to Montreal cuz their arena is invaded by Canadiens/Angry Rangers Fan.

I think the flyers will mash up the pens Physicalli and run away with the series, then they loose to Washington in 2nd round while New Jersey looses to Montreal cuz their arena is invaded by Canadiens/Angry Rangers Fan.

I think Marc Andre-Fleury, born French speaking goaltender of the Pittsburgh Penguins, would scoff at your spelling and grammar.

Does anyone know when the playoff schedule will be released? I am hankering to know when I must put off all of life's engagements to watch this series.

Guest Wags13

..and I think you're a mushed up Habs fan...but thats my opinion..

..and I think you're a mushed up Habs fan...but thats my opinion..

i love how u turn out all the comments on the pens against montreal like wtf dude, why you hate them so much? You're probably just gay...but thats my opinion :)

i love how u turn out all the comments on the pens against montreal like wtf dude, why you hate them so much? You're probably just gay...but thats my opinion :)

Its true. Anything ever said about anything in hockey turns into how the habs suck via wags. Grow the f**k up.

Healthy competition and rivalry is one thing but your just retarded.

p.s - bringin' back ye old avatar frey. nice.