NHL'94 Forums

My "Deadline" Roms

naples39

Picking up from my other thread, starting a new thread for a pretty big update to my 1994 rom, which will hopefully be followed by a few others roms for different years. I re-did everything into the 30 team rom, allowing for full graphic editing. I'm also calling them "deadline" roms because clockwise already has his "playoffs" thing going and he's doing more than me. Anyway, each rom will feature;

-Edited graphics and text, including startup screens, logos, scoreboard

-All rosters updated to the trade deadline of the specific year of release. Ratings also edited to reflect performance of that season.

-Player pictures for every starter

-Team ratings, home/away, and PP/PK effect updated based on season performance.

-Full uniform editing per nhluniforms.com

-Period accurate crease/rink

-Hacks including weight bug fix, clockwise sprite edit, halved speed burst effect

Download links in this post, summary for each rom in posts below when I finish the rom.

DeadlineV4.zip contains all 7 roms--87, 89, 92, 94, 95, 97 and 99.

deadlineV4.zip

Edited by naples39

NHL 94 Deadline Rom available.

Notes of the 1993-94 season and this rom;

-The Rangers had by far the best record in the league and beat the Canucks in 7 games to take the cup. The Rangers are probably the best team in this rom (lookout for big improvements on Kovalev and Zubov!)

-Sergei Fedorov won MVP, and he is rated very high here. Modano is also a beast per his NHL '95 rating.

-Brodeur won the rookie of the year. Other notable rookies include Yashin, Renberg, Pronger.

-Hasek won his first of 6 Vezinas. He and Tkachuk are 2 of the most improved players from their original NHL '94 rating.

-The conferences were formally renamed Eastern and Western.

Screenshots;

lyzn.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
zje5.png
vy8f.png
fes8.png
6wh7.png
Edited by naples39

NHL 95 Deadline rom available. 94 re-upped as well to add ingame banners, rosters and other bug fixes.

The 1995 season:

-NHL lockout shortens the season to the 48 games
-Detroit and Quebec have the best regular season records, but Quebec is bounced in the first round and NJ sweeps Detroit in the cup finals.
-The Legion of Doom line is born, and Eric Lindros wins MVP. He is a beast in this game. Jaromir Jagr and Zhamnov other top scorers with very high ratings.
-There is no allstar game, and this rom contains no allstar teams.
-Mario Lemieux sits out the whole seaon, and is not in this rom.
-Peter Forsberg wins rookie of the year. Paul Kariya also debuts, and Jim Carey (!) is a Vezina contender as a rookie.
1blu.png
qra7.png
rj8a.png
New look for Calgary, Oilers jerseys go darker.
u2sx.png
Yay, in-game banners.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a little more ambitious this time; Deadline 87!

Notes on the season and the rom:
-Player ratings were quite a challenge, but it was very helpful if the player went on to appear in the EA games in the 90s. Generally speaking, total points=offensive awareness, shot%=shot accuracy, assists=passing, PIMs=roughness/aggressiveness, points/"point shares"=overall rating. Regarding things behind the stats like shooting power, or speed, or checking, had to do some guesswork there.
-This season, Gretzky won his 8th straight MVP. He led the league with 62 goals. Remarkably, even if he had not scored a single goal, he still had enough assists to win the scoring title. So yeah, he's pretty good in this rom.
-The Oilers plowed through the regular season and playoffs before being pushed to 7 by the Flyers in the finals. The Flyers were pretty damn good too; Hextall (Vezina and Conn Smythe), Poulin (Selke), Kerr (58 goals, 2nd behind Gretzky), Howe (Norris runner-up behind Bourque).
-There was no all-star game, but rather a two game series of NHL All-stars versus Russia in "Rendez Vous 87." These teams are in this rom. I really had to guess at rating some Russian players, although 11 players on Russia's roster actually appear in NHL 94. I also threw in Team Canada and Team USA from the '87 Canada Cup for good measure!!
-Many past stars such Bossy, Salming, Linseman, Federko, Langway, Dionne and Robinson are found, and some are still pretty effective. Other guys like Trottier, Savard, Goulet, Statsny and Mullen are much closer to their prime than in 94.
-Lots of green in jerseys for Minnesota and Hartford, and eye-popping yellow jerseys for LA and VAN.
q3b9.png
b9zq.png
rdjd.png
hjjy.png
805.png
3z3r.png
cyhr.png

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

These are wonderful. Dying to play a late-90's one. Prime-era Forsberg PLS

I'm actually putting the finishing touches on 92 rom, and plan to do 97 next, I expect that to go pretty quickly as I can just use stock NHL 98 player ratings, instead of having to review each player individually which took a lot of time for 87 and 92.

Pretty Awesome - Why are they named "deadline" - How about an Olympic version?

They are called "deadline" because the rosters are set as of the trade deadline of each season. Basically the same thing as a "playoff" rom, just a name to differentiate these roms from the others.

I don't have much interest in Olympic version, although maybe a big project at some point including Olympic teams from several Olympics would be neat. That won't be happening any time soon though.

Great job! I really like 87Deadline.

But I can't get it to open in NOSE.

Do you know why?

All my editing is done in NOSE, Tilemolester, and SMOZ's programs. They open fine in NOSE. Maybe you have an old version of NOSE. Try this one; http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14217-nose-12b-download/ .

I think I've gotten most of the new bugs out, so I'm gonna upload these now. Let me know if you notice any graphics bugs, or obvious roster issues.

Deadline '92

Highlights from the 1991-92 NHL season;
-Pittsburgh over Chicago for their second straight cup.
-San Jose enters the league, the first expansion squad since the 1979 and NHL-WHA merger.
-Awards;
Hart - Messier
Norris - Leetch
Vezina - Roy
Calder - Bure
-Leaders;
Goals - Hull, 70
Assists - Gretzky, 90
Points - Lemieux, 131
Deadline 97
Highlights from the 1996-97 NHL season;
-Detroit sweeps the Flyers in the Stanley Cup finals.
-Awards;
Hart - Hasek
Norris - Leetch
Vezina - Hasek
Calder - Berard
-Leaders;
Goals - Tkachuk, 52
Assists - Gretzky/Lemieux, 72
Points - Lemieux, 122
Notes on ROM:
-Player ratings taken from NHL 98, although I felt it necessary to tone down some players who were high 90s or over 100 overall.
-Lots of dynamic duos in this ROM; Lindros-LeClair, Kariya-Selanne, Tkachuk-Roenick, Zhamnov-Amonte, Forsberg-Sakic, Gretzky-Messier, Jagr-Lemieux, Turgeon-Hull, Mogilny-Bure

• 3 weeks later...

I have to echo orangeblack92 here. I can finally re-live my NHL 97 chlidhood memories, but with the superior NHL 94 engine.Thank you so much for this!

I noticed that the goalie handedness is reversed in the 97 ROM. Was this an accident or was it intentional to mimic NHL 97 on the Genesis, which did the same? I'm also looking to do a few ROM hacks myself, and was wondering if it was possible to do what clockwise has done with NHL 14 and add in all of the player photos instead of the generic ones? Same thing for the crease tiles as well.

EDIT: Don't mean to question your ratings, but where did the 92 overall rating for Washington come from?

Edited by FlyersHockey1967

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the feedback actually.

-Regarding goalie handedness, I imported the goalies from '97 via NOSE. I was not aware that '97 was bugged there, so I inadvertently carried over that bug. I'll have to fix that.

-Regarding Washington's 92 team rating, that also sounds like a mistake for me to fix (ditto for TOR's 93). Fortunately team rating is meaningless as far as I know, and the numbers are plucked off the top of my head roughly considering regular season and playoff finish when editing the ROM.

-I briefly messed around with player photos, but quickly decided the amount of time to find player photos, prep them for import, and import them in TM simply wasn't worth the time. I didn't see a streamlined process for all that.

-Creases are another thing I didn't get around to and wasn't sure how to do. Maybe I'll re-visit that if there are good guides or patches to work with since I really only know how to do things that are explicitly explained on these forums.

Haha okay, I was wondering what was up with the goalies. The stuff with the player photos is understandable; I'm not even sure if there is a way to find all of them online. I wish I knew where the NHL 2004 Rebuilt Mod got its pictures for the 97 conversion (http://z15.invisionfree.com/NHL04Rebuilt/index.php?showtopic=2). As far as the creases, I wouldn't stress too much over them. It's a very minor aspect and you've already done plenty of work.

EDIT: I'll also keep an eye out for any other minor errors like Eric Lindros being left-handed or Paul Coffey on both Flyers SC1 and SC2 lines.

• 4 weeks later...

89 deadline upped.

DEADLINE 89
Notes on the season and the rom:
-This was the first season for Gretzky in LA. The effect was dramatic, as the Kings changed their logo and colors, and Gretzky took the team from 4th from the bottom, to 4th from the top, adding a victory over the Oilers in the first round of the playoffs. Bernie Nicholls certainly enjoyed having Gretzky aroud, scoring 70 goals and 150 points. For all this, Gretzky won his 9th (and final) MVP award.
-Mario Lemieux actually led the league with 199 points--the highest total ever by anyone not named Gretzky.
-Calgary won the cup and are the best team in this ROM, with Gilmour and Mullen up front, MacInnis and Suter on D, and a Vezina runner-up season from Mike Vernon.
Awards
Art Ross Trophy - Mario Lemieux
Calder Memorial Trophy - Brian Leetch
Conn Smythe Trophy - Al MacInnis
Frank J. Selke Trophy - Guy Carbonneau
Hart Memorial Trophy - Wayne Gretzky
James Norris Memorial Trophy - Chris Chelios
Vezina Trophy - Patrick Roy
I'm also finishing the process of touching up all the old releases to V2, with roster fixes and a few graphics updates.

naples39, I can't thank you enough for your work on these. And you changed the goal creases too. Great stuff. I can re-live my childhood days with the 97 ROM, so thank you again!

EDIT: Mario Lemieux, Jeremy Roenick, and Mats Sundin are accidentally left-handed in the 97 ROM. I'm clueless when it comes to hex editing, but I managed to change them to rightys on my own so I wouldn't have to wait for a Version 3. I'll keep an eye out for any more minor stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

naples39, I can't thank you enough for your work on these. And you changed the goal creases too. Great stuff. I can re-live my childhood days with the 97 ROM, so thank you again!

EDIT: Mario Lemieux, Jeremy Roenick, and Mats Sundin are accidentally left-handed in the 97 ROM. I'm clueless when it comes to hex editing, but I managed to change them to rightys on my own so I wouldn't have to wait for a Version 3. I'll keep an eye out for any more minor stuff like that.

Damn, NHL 98 was a mess. I didn't check that because I assumed they had it right. I guess another thing to go back and fix.

And FYI, you can open my roms in NOSE for easy editing. That's how I do it all.