Puck Junk

NHL "95 Full Season Bug

Recommended Posts

I heard that in NHL '95, if you played full season mode and your team got to 128 points in the standings that it would roll back to 0 points, putting your team last. Is that true, and if so, on what versions of the game? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it happens in the Sega Genesis Version,  not sure on SNES or PC.  To get around it and you don't want to lose games you can "Start season after today"  on the cart.

Pretty Crazy after a quick google search I found people talking about the glitch in 1995

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.video.sega/0oZlyfQqiYM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that glitch! Definitely a real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Looks like it definitely was a bug in the Genesis version. I have the SNES version, but never played enough games to get potentially get to 128 points. And I'm not going to try anytime soon, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah those season modes were big when I was 14 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's funny.

The cause is that a "signed byte" can store numbers from -128 to 127. If you try to add to a number greater than 127, it'll wrap around to -128, -127 etc. If the game displayed 0, I guess they had some code to protect against displaying negative numbers.

I don't know why they didn't use an unsigned byte (0-255)!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, smozoma said:

That's funny.

The cause is that a "signed byte" can store numbers from -128 to 127. If you try to add to a number greater than 127, it'll wrap around to -128, -127 etc. If the game displayed 0, I guess they had some code to protect against displaying negative numbers.

I don't know why they didn't use an unsigned byte (0-255)!

Awesome work.  I think you are the first person outside the EA programmer that messed up to know exactly where the glitch was!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had to spread the word of Smoz's big brain

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I actually found the code in the ROM, I can just see what the problem is because it's a common thing to need to deal with in old-school programming :).

Might even be a fixable bug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone do me a favour and make a .srm of a season with a team with 126 or 127 points, and then another .srm with the with the bug symptom?

I'll take a stab at fixing it. Maybe can be used as a way to recruit people for ko94-3 and then the 95 tournament if some social-media-savvy folks can get the fix some publicity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, smozoma said:

Can someone do me a favour and make a .srm of a season with a team with 126 or 127 points, and then another .srm with the with the bug symptom?

I'll take a stab at fixing it. Maybe can be used as a way to recruit people for ko94-3 and then the 95 tournament if some social-media-savvy folks can get the fix some publicity.

I'll mess around with it,  What program should I use? GENS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all the Gens versions make compatible .srm files, but just in case, please use this one, since it's the hacking emulator I'll be using:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a bug with leading scorers as well that really pissed me off:bad_egg:

 

Edited by kgman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, smozoma said:

I think all the Gens versions make compatible .srm files, but just in case, please use this one, since it's the hacking emulator I'll be using:

 

Going to have to put some work in to recreate bug,  Was hoping to autoskip to April win a few games to recreate bug, but it looks like I will have to do about 20 games at end of season to make it happen.

Fun fact the the actually attributes of player must not mean anything when doing autoskip as I traded a bunch of great players to the Flames and they went .500 and Mike Donnelly lead the league in Goals without Wayne and Luc on the Kings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kgman said:

I remember a bug with leading scorers as well that really pissed me off:bad_egg:

 

I don't remember that one as well, was it 128 pts as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, segathon said:

 

Fun fact the the actually attributes of player must not mean anything when doing autoskip as I traded a bunch of great players to the Flames and they went .500 and Mike Donnelly lead the league in Goals without Wayne and Luc on the Kings.

NHL Series works just like TSB.  It is literally one byte that determines CPU vs CPU games.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.