NHL'94 Forums

Draft Discussion Thread

SSiG

gretz has an awesome pass rating and is a beast at checking. So yeah, he's decent to have, definitely not the best player though. he's limited in what he can do to be honest, but i wouldn't ever call him useless.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the limp shot, Gretzky is awesome. Combine insane agility and ability to take a check make him a deke machine. Granted he can't pull off some of the long distance floaters, he does excel at every other deke in the book. And don't forget those rocket passes.

But forget his offense. Gretzky's real talent is his MONSTER hits!

Great pic Habs! You're a great deker. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you put up with em.

There there, gentle Oates-haters. Oates the winger will bring the pain your taunts have caused him with each passing game. If Gretzky was the Angel of Death, then Oates is the Left Hand of God, or Shiva the Destroyer. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

By the end of the season, I'm sure I'll be saying Roy is the most overrated :P

Great Pick Smoz!

Statistically speaking, in GDL1, out of the top 4 coaches in the GAA category, 3 of them had the super goalies. (Roy, Belfour, Fuhr)

The 3rd coach? He had Roenick. LOL

Lets look at the 'ol AJ drafting guide here...

Oates-A deft top tier passer with solid skating skills and solid awareness in the offensive zone. While not a massive physical presence, he isnt exactly a liability either. His main weakness lies in his shooting which is lackluster at best, with only a mediocre shot and decent skating, his deking skills are rather somewhat limited. A solid pick up, if you already have a big goal scorer and physical presence on your team.

Draft Analysis: A solid round 2-3 pick up

Gretzky-While not quite as skilled as his nick name would lead you to believe, Gretzky is among the elite passers in the game as well as a massive physical force on the ice. His amazing agility rating paired with a solid speed rating allow Gretzky to dictate the tempo of a game when paired with the right linemates. But like many of the top tier passers in this game, Gretzky's weakness lies within his shot...his horribily pathetic shot which wont put fear into any team. While Gretzky's shot is lackluster, his other attributes make him a piece worth building a solid franchise around.

Draft Analysis: Late 1st rounder-early 2nd round

So what do you guys think about the Sandstrom-Robatille combo?

Lets look at the 'ol AJ drafting guide here...

Oates-A deft top tier passer with solid skating skills and solid awareness in the offensive zone. While not a massive physical presence, he isnt exactly a liability either. His main weakness lies in his shooting which is lackluster at best, with only a mediocre shot and decent skating, his deking skills are rather somewhat limited. A solid pick up, if you already have a big goal scorer and physical presence on your team.

Draft Analysis: A solid round 2-3 pick up

Gretzky-While not quite as skilled as his nick name would lead you to believe, Gretzky is among the elite passers in the game as well as a massive physical force on the ice. His amazing agility rating paired with a solid speed rating allow Gretzky to dictate the tempo of a game when paired with the right linemates. But like many of the top tier passers in this game, Gretzky's weakness lies within his shot...his horribily pathetic shot which wont put fear into any team. While Gretzky's shot is lackluster, his other attributes make him a piece worth building a solid franchise around.

Draft Analysis: Late 1st rounder-early 2nd round

So what do you guys think about the Sandstrom-Robatille combo?

Oates is actually pretty decent, in a quiet way. He shot is alright, way better than Gretzky's. I had him in the short-lived nhl94.net league, and he kept up with Selanne in points. Big weaknesses in my opinion are his skating (4 speed) and lack of checking presence. I would still pick Gretzky instead of him, though.

I don't see the point in Sandstrom+Robitaille. They're too similar -- good shooters who can't hit and don't have 5+ speed. I'd go for one and then a guy who can hit and pass (.. gretz!)

sandstrom and robitaille is a great combo...... you can put either at C for some good one timer combos

although it's obvious to put sandstrom at center.... robitaille can make some great moves at LW

p.s. Gretzky is great to have on defense, and great on the wing (although some of his passes are a bit stiff)

you got a good point smoz, gretzky would be a good fit on my line.

I dont see much weakness in 4 speed though...if i remember right, ive never drafted a guy below 3 or above 4 speed.

Yeah, 4 isn't bad of course, but 5 speed is part of what makes the elite bunch elite, or guys who have 4 speed but are light (gilmour, ciccarelli), since weight affects acceleration (something I learned about trying to fix the weight bug, messing with the 1-vs-1 ROM...). A guy rated 93 but doesn't have 5 speed or killer checking is bound to not live up to his rating. But that's my run-and-gun offense, bump-and-grind defense style opinion. Coaches with a little more finesse might not value those attributes as much as I do.

I like to run and gun myself, i just think the philosophy behind it is different because i think most every guy with 5 speed is too fast and hard to reign in outside of a select few.

And your spot on about Oates, if he lived up to his rating, hed be a sure fire 1st round pick every draft.

I like to run and gun myself, i just think the philosophy behind it is different because i think most every guy with 5 speed is too fast and hard to reign in outside of a select few.

I can definitely see what you're saying. Sometimes it's really hard to deke with a guy like mogilny, just because of how fast he's going. Then there are the times when you pass up to them, but they're skating too fast, so you have to stop to wait for the puck, etc..

I'm a run-n-gun style as well. After having Selanne on my team, I've gotten used to controlling that much speed and still being able to deke. It actually seems like the smoother the connection is, the less of a problem having 5+ speed becomes.

This year I'm hoping that pairing Selanne with another speedster (Ronning) will establish more passing chemistry to my offense. Before, Selanne was just so much faster that I'd outrun my other forwards.

You forget awesomerino, there is 24 coaches, most of which have jobs and/or school. It's tough for all of them to be available to make their picks in quick succession.

I haven't forgotten that at all. I'm just suggesting that we try to set aside a time/date that works for everyone (if that's possible) and get the whole draft done in an hour. As overlapping as people's work/school schedules might be, surely there is one common hour at which we could all make ourselves available. But again, I'm just asking. Maybe it's not possible, but it certainly seems like it could be, and is at least worth examining.

I would just push back the nov 3 and 4th deadline and keep it at nov 1 for every round until then.SMOZOMA looks like tess is not going to be available to make his pick before i go to work (sigh).but I will phone my wife to check it for me during the night and will get it done or just leave my pick with dadonch.

yea... I feel it is unreasonable to think we could get this draft in 1 day.

24 coaches... from different time zones... with different work schedules... where this online video game is not exactly a life priority....

The draft last year took 1 or 2 weeks? It worked out great. It will require some patience, but it will be worth it when it's finished. There is no way I am going to cancel something during my day's schedule for an online video game draft, and I feel I'm not the only one in this category.

so the talent pool isn't watered down

It's already watered down plenty in my opinion. Back in my day, we only had ten teams! That's the way it was and weeeeeee liked it! Weeeeeee loved it!

/Dana Carvey "Hundred Year Old Man" Impression off

Expansion got voted down, and in my opinion, the talent pool is fine right now. I've got Ciccarelli and Emerson. Meaning I have a superstar and a semi-star in Emerson, who can hit like a champ and keep up with Dino's fast skating. Every team should basically end up like an NHL team: They have 1 or 2 super stars, then a whole bunch of above-average or average players. It works out great IMO.

Expansion got voted down, and in my opinion, the talent pool is fine right now. I've got Ciccarelli and Emerson. Meaning I have a superstar and a semi-star in Emerson, who can hit like a champ and keep up with Dino's fast skating. Every team should basically end up like an NHL team: They have 1 or 2 super stars, then a whole bunch of above-average or average players. It works out great IMO.

imo it would be nice to even have 4-6 less teams in the league to up the talent level per team. maybe next season if we can have more than 1 lg going that would be a possibility.

It's already watered down plenty in my opinion. Back in my day, we only had ten teams! That's the way it was and weeeeeee liked it! Weeeeeee loved it!

/Dana Carvey "Hundred Year Old Man" Impression off

ya i agree, me, voc, bhf, smoz, captplug, jesus, crossbar, 2 others i cant remember were in the original draft league- nhl94.net

awesome lineups, the teams were soo fun to play with just raw speed and skill.

I can't believe expansion was even considered. The talent pool was from 24 nhl teams, if we did todays rosters it would be fine to do 30. When we went from 20 to 24 teams (without a vote) I was very against it. Donch did a great job this season with all the voting.