NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 WORLD RECORD!

halifax

I know in '93 there is a scoring summary limit of 30, so the first 29 goals show up and the last goal shows as the 30th.

Must be similar in '94, just never checked.

Yep, you're right. It maxes out at 60 goals.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/194-extracting-stats/?p=4834

BrYaN55 only attempted 2 one-timers!

For the purposes of recording a record, is that on an emulator or the console? Records need to be done on the the real hardware.

• 1 month later...

what are the differences with the PAL version?

PAL vs NTSC is just a framerate and display difference, I wouldn't think there was a difference in the game itself. However, Mikey's attempt was obviously difficult...not sure if that was chance or if it's always like that.

I don't understand why Twin Galaxies has a NTSC and PAL track for every game, but I guess if there are framerate differences, it's not an exact comparison.

• 2 months later...

Someone set a new record for '93 -- 85-0! Beat my score of 81....I think I'll try to take this back soon! 10 minute periods, you pick any teams vs computer.

Here are the current world records for each console for the EA NHL series as of today.

Genesis

NHL Hockey (NHL'92) - 45

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 85 87

NHL'94 - 69

NHL'95 - 39

NHL'96 - 21

NHL'97 - 21

NHL'98 - 24

Super Nintendo

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 47

NHL'94 - 58 72!

NHL'95 - 56

NHL'96 - 80

NHL'97 - 52

NHL'98 - 58

Edited by kingraph
EDIT: Dan Cameron new SNES record

• 2 weeks later...

Question about NHL '98's setup for obtaining the World Record.

Assuming that this record was done on the Original Game (020 Minutes) Time Setting, are there different/separate World Records for those who get it on Slow, Normal Speed, and Fast games?

In the event that I ever wanted to do a Live or Tool~Assisted World Record run, I want to be able to know that I could play with different settings for different records, as whenever I play NHL '98 on the Genesis or on my Japanese Megadrive Edit, I always play with the Game Speed setting locked to Fast/High, primarily because it allows me to control the players far easier and in a more bearable form than if I were playing on Slow or Normal.

Any clarification on this will be taken with ample appreciation, this truly is vital for those who aim to go for a WR in NHL '98, whether or not they are using the Bonus Teams for this record (EA and THQ/Angry Legion included in that statement); I know that the Game Speed setting for '98 was what had truly defined its gameplay on the Genesis/Megadrive version, so if there are indeed different records for each Game Speed Setting, then it truly be worth noting down, that will allow more opportunities for players of it to obtain records in the gameplay style(s) they enjoy and play best under.

Question about NHL '98's setup for obtaining the World Record.

Assuming that this record was done on the Original Game (020 Minutes) Time Setting, are there different/separate World Records for those who get it on Slow, Normal Speed, and Fast games?

In the event that I ever wanted to do a Live or Tool~Assisted World Record run, I want to be able to know that I could play with different settings for different records, as whenever I play NHL '98 on the Genesis or on my Japanese Megadrive Edit, I always play with the Game Speed setting locked to Fast/High, primarily because it allows me to control the players far easier and in a more bearable form than if I were playing on Slow or Normal.

You can see the settings on the Twin Galaxies site:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=73424

"Single Player Only, Regular Game, Regular Rosters, 10 Minute Periods, May Choose Automatic or Manual Goalie, User Records Off, Penalties On, No Offsides, Fighting & Line Changes are optional, All-Star Skill Level, Normal Game Speed, May Freely Choose Your Team and The Computer's TeamSpecial Rules: You must play all 3 Periods and WIN the game by at least one point. This game will use The Special Blowout Rules for final score, where it is tabulated by how many goals you have won the game by. [Ex. If you beat the computer 16-4, your final score will then be 12, which is how many goals you won by.]"

Has to be console too, no emulators or TAS for Twin Galaxies.

That ruleset for '98 sounds relatively fair, I could understand that.

I usually play with most of what is required here during my General Play of the title, but it will be rather difficult to get used to Normal Game Speed for me, primarily because I always set it to Fast for easier player control and it makes passing easier for myself as well.

That be a bummer, although I understand why Twin Galaxies requires that we must make World Record runs on actual hardware, rather than emulation or Tool~Assisted runs.

Unlike Speedruns LIVE, where emulation is acceptable under specific or particular circumstances (such as the game not being able to be recorded from actual hardware or the game that is getting the Realtime Speedrun is not available to the runner for play on actual hardware), I presume that Twin Galaxies is more like Speed Demos Archive and Games Done Quick, where playing as authentically as probable will deliver the utmost accurate of results and all due fairness; now, that sounds logical, and it does sound reasonable to prevent any form of cheating or Record Fraud, however I do feel that emulation does need to be accepted at some point, as not everybody can play on actual hardware for every title.

However, given the desire to campaign the allowance of emulated World Record runs, I am now curious if the folks at TASVideos have a particular section for this.

I have been following the website as far back as October of 2006, and I never had taken the time to view if they do TAS runs of Sports genre titles for WR scores.

TASVideos is also far more lenient with the way that they handle the rules of doing a run as well.

For example, suppose NHL '98 was accepted on there for WR scores, there would be multiple types of runs that could be done based on the settings that were selected, but I do not know if it would be considered a separate run if you select a different team but with the same game settings; given this setup, somebody could get a WR score on a "0I0 Minute Periods, with Penalties, no Offsides, All~Star Difficulty, and Normal Speed" run, while somebody else could obtain a separate record on there for a "0I0 Minute Periods, with Penalties, no Offsides, All~Star Difficulty, and Fast Speed" run; the Separate Records for Different Runs system also works in the regard that if somebody gets a record for the Any% run and somebody else gets it for the 0I00% run, because they are separate runs with different rules and settings, they are able to be given different records for those runners as a result of that.

Not sure if Sports titles are able to obtain the same treatment in TAS form, given the examples that I have provided here, but it does sound as if it be decent and/or logical, for what it be worth.

There might come a time where all WR runs might have to become emulated, in the event that our consoles end up no longer working over time and there are limited or scarce quantities of them, so TG and other groups might have to consider emulation and TAS methods to become the norm at some point; might not happen for a matter of decades, but it always be positive to prepare for outcomes of Future~Time, I must say,

Edited by Royameadow

• 5 weeks later...

PAL vs NTSC is just a framerate and display difference, I wouldn't think there was a difference in the game itself. However, Mikey's attempt was obviously difficult...not sure if that was chance or if it's always like that.

I don't understand why Twin Galaxies has a NTSC and PAL track for every game, but I guess if there are framerate differences, it's not an exact comparison.

Different frame rate is what we were told by old refs, when the tracks were originally setup.

I think for some games, the game actually runs slower on PAL? Like the game's speed is tied to the framerate, and PAL is only 25 fps, while NTSC is 29.97, so NTSC runs 20% faster? I've never tried 94 PAL to check it out.

• 4 months later...

The SNES record made it into the 2016 Guiness Book of World Records - Gamers Edition!

Page 193, I'm famous! QZILK8v.jpg?1

Too bad it's the easiest of the '94 records to break. Some dude already scored 72-0, shattering this 58, but he hasn't officially submitted to TG yet.

A little birdie also told me that the Genesis mark will soon be 79! So anyone trying should really be gunning for 80, which is really, really, hard.

That's pretty cool Raph! I was just telling Mikey on the weekend about Dan Cameron's 72 goal record. I wonder why it's not verified. In a way, I hope it doesn't get verified because 72 goals is just ridiculous!

He never submitted to Twin Galaxies...some issue getting his account set up.

You can see the settings on the Twin Galaxies site:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=73424

"Single Player Only, Regular Game, Regular Rosters, 10 Minute Periods, May Choose Automatic or Manual Goalie, User Records Off, Penalties On, No Offsides, Fighting & Line Changes are optional, All-Star Skill Level, Normal Game Speed, May Freely Choose Your Team and The Computer's TeamSpecial Rules: You must play all 3 Periods and WIN the game by at least one point. This game will use The Special Blowout Rules for final score, where it is tabulated by how many goals you have won the game by. [Ex. If you beat the computer 16-4, your final score will then be 12, which is how many goals you won by.]"

Has to be console too, no emulators or TAS for Twin Galaxies.

Raph, how are you recording Gens console footage? I have an elgato game capture, can I use that to record?

Raph, how are you recording Gens console footage? I have an elgato game capture, can I use that to record?

The best way to be verified by the community is to use a camcorder and show your system, controller, boot up wires to the TV. I use my iPhone 4s and it records well enough. Just remember to focus. Direct capture might be accepted but the community lately goes back and forth.

Raph Does it perfect in his past recordings. There is no doubt with his video evidence.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/140310

Any questions here ask me. I'm more than willing to help. I host the Settle it on the Screen Show for Twin Galaxies's Twitch channel/show.

Edited by Coffey

The SNES record made it into the 2016 Guiness Book of World Records - Gamers Edition!

Page 193, I'm famous! QZILK8v.jpg?1

Too bad it's the easiest of the '94 records to break. Some dude already scored 72-0, shattering this 58, but he hasn't officially submitted to TG yet.

A little birdie also told me that the Genesis mark will soon be 79! So anyone trying should really be gunning for 80, which is really, really, hard.

awesome stuff! congrats bud! legend for life!

tonight NHL 94 congrats to the champs!!!!

Settle it on the Screen tonight with results from the TGEF NES Rematch tourney, New World Record announcements, the Olympics 2016 draft, Ninglendo's steam pick of the week and much much more. Maybe. Starts at 10pm EST/ 7pm PST at www.twitch.tv/twingalaxieslive

• 1 year later...

Good news, long-time SNES player Dan Cameron finally got the SNES record up on Twin Galaxies and set the bar at 72!  Not official yet, but should be very soon as the video looks completely legit.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/177577-SNES-SFC-NHL-94-NTSC-Biggest-Blowout-72-Daniel-Cameron

Here are the current WR's for the Genesis/Mega Drive and SNES EA Hockey series as of today:

Genesis

NHL Hockey (NHL'92) - 45 (kingraph, Oct'15)

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 87 (kingraph, Aug'15)

NHL'94 - 69 (kingraph, Oct'15)

NHL'95 - 39 (kingraph, Oct'15)

NHL'96 - 21 (Steve Germershausen, Sep'09)

NHL'97 - 21 (Steve Germershausen, Sep'09)

NHL'98 - 24 (Steve Germershausen, Aug'10)

Super Nintendo

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 47 (Jonathan Plombon, Jan'08)

NHL'94 - 72 (Dan Cameron, Oct'17)

NHL'95 - 56 (Jonathan Plombon, Jul'08)

NHL'96 - 80 (Jonathan Plombon, Apr'09)

NHL'97 - 52 (Jonathan Plombon, Jul'08)

NHL'98 - 58 (Jonathan Plombon, Jul'08)

Edited by kingraph
added names/date
  • Like 2