NHL'94 Forums

Who have you met from the NHL over the years?

halifax

Inspired by Dangler's recent meeting with JR, this thread is created for you to tell your stories of whom you've met, who you know or whatever the case may be to all those who have a connection with the nhl past or present. If you play in the NHL, please list that here also. I know chaos played 3 seasons with the Florida Panthers before he was forced to retire from a knee injury so he probably has the most prestige on the site.

When I was 12, I went to a Mike Mcphee card signing (yes Mike McPhee was a big deal). I had my card in my hand but I was nervous I was going to bend it while waiting in line so I put in my coat pocket.....where....I ended up bending it...and Mike McPhee said "this is what I'm worth, a bent card?" He was just kidding, but other people around laughed. I was embarrassed. I hate Mike McPhee.

When i was a kid i want to a game of MTL's farm game.

I bought a magazine and got some players to sign at theyr respective pages.

I got:

Mike Ribeiro

Andrei Bashkirov

Matt Higgins

Francis Bouillon

Andrei Markov

And I got near the locker room and got a picture taken with Mathieu Raby (Defenseman).

I went to a celebrity baseball game around 1996-97???, but had no idea who anyone was. My friend's younger brother was there too and suddenly decided to get some random player's autograph. He came back with his hat signed, then we realized it was Alexandre Daigle.

I'm from a town near where Larry Robinson grew up, and one day during baseball practice, Larry Robinson showed up at our practice to meet people and sign our baseball hats. I was super shy, plus I was wearing my Leafs hat, so I didn't go meet him (Larry Robinson signature on a Leafs hat would be weird. Plus he might crush me for being a Leafs fan).

I'm intrigued by Chaos playing in the NHL for 3 seasons but I can't figure out who he is? I've met quite a few NHL players over the years. Met Sidney Crosby the summer after his rookie season at a concert in PEI. I also drank from the cup at Paul MacLean's cottage in Antigonish, NS when he brought it home 2.5 years ago (he's now assistant coach of Detroit, former 300+ goal scorer for the Jets/Wings/Blues). But by far the most enjoyable player to meet was Jarome Iginla. I met him at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey in Montreal, walking in front of the Bell Centre. My brother had just purchased an Iginla Team Canada jersey a few minutes before and got it signed by him! I was so jealous. We hung around the Bell Centre a little more to try to meet some more players. Saw Eric Brewer and Robyn Regher but didn't really give a s**t about meeting them haha. But honestly, Jarome Iginla is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. It was a real pleasure meeting him.

I'm intrigued by Chaos playing in the NHL for 3 seasons but I can't figure out who he is? I've met quite a few NHL players over the years. Met Sidney Crosby the summer after his rookie season at a concert in PEI. I also drank from the cup at Paul MacLean's cottage in Antigonish, NS when he brought it home 2.5 years ago (he's now assistant coach of Detroit, former 300+ goal scorer for the Jets/Wings/Blues). But by far the most enjoyable player to meet was Jarome Iginla. I met him at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey in Montreal, walking in front of the Bell Centre. My brother had just purchased an Iginla Team Canada jersey a few minutes before and got it signed by him! I was so jealous. We hung around the Bell Centre a little more to try to meet some more players. Saw Eric Brewer and Robyn Regher but didn't really give a s**t about meeting them haha. But honestly, Jarome Iginla is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. It was a real pleasure meeting him.

Even better than my story though comes from a friend of mine from Calgary that I went to university with. We used to play NHL 94 all the time together as roommates in college. Anyways, he went to Vegas last year during the NHL awards ceremony. Him and another guy made up a huge BS story saying they were scouts for the Calgary Flames and they somehow got into the Awards after party! He was doing vodka shots with Datsyuk and rippin Jordan Staal for getting caught underage drinking hahaha. He called me the next day and I couldn't believe the stories he was telling me!

I've met quite a few exNHLers in the past. When Tampa Bay won the cup a few years ago, Jeff Reese brought the cup here to Brantford. That was the first player I met a former NHLer and the first of three times I would be near Stanleys mug.

Next time would have been at an Alumini game at the civic center. Afterwards I got to shake the hands of the whole team, including Stan Johnathan's, Stephen Lebeau's, Mike Krushkelinski's and (drumroll please) :P Bob Probert's. I remeber being so jazzed at shaking Bobby's hand. I was playing Church league hockey back then and was wearing my teams jersey (it happened to be designed just like the Bruins at the time). He made a comment about it.

And the legendary cherry on top of this onslaught of awesome... my uncle once worked with Jason Arnott at a bar up in Wasaga Beach.

Edited by Snyder

I'm intrigued by Chaos playing in the NHL for 3 seasons but I can't figure out who he is?

I hadn't heard this.. The best I can come up with my google-fu is a guy playing in Germany these days, so pretty sure I'm wrong!

I have is Keith Jones, Rulan Fedatenko, and Sergei Bobrovsky. I got to meet a good amount of the 74 team at the flyers wives carnival last year, and took a picture with Simon Gagne and got Giroux's autograph (Favorite Player) at same event. My dad eats lunch with Orest Kindrachuk sometimes as well.

unless chaos gives an acknowledgment or hint to this then you can use google-fu smoz

I know I told this story in my "welcome rookies" thread, but tough rocks ; You get to read it again.

I moved to suburban Minneapolis (Eden Prairie) around '91, and was in 4th grade with Neil Broten's daughter, Brooke. She looked like a hockey player (not a compliment for a female). I also lived in a neighborhood with Bobby Smith, and his son Ryan was my best friend for awhile. I got to skate at the Met Center a few times, and was in the locker room after a game.

I also saw Dave Gagner at an autograph signing at a hat store in the mall.

Playing youth hockey in Northern Cal I got to see some familiar faces from the Sharks organization. The most memorable one was Tony Granato because his son was in my age division. In 8-unders I remember getting my goalie stick signed by Tony and when he would make other appearances at games. My old man would approach him in the stands and he really acted natural like the rest of the parents at games. Really a great guy and a smoking wife :P ...

speaking of hot wives, jason blake's wife is...well, in that category. I played in the same Wednesday golf game with him for 3 years. also played with mike commodore, brian lee, and a few other minor leaguers from time to time. amazing how many of us hockey players love golf.

One of my best friends played a few regular season games with Florida in the early 2000's, but mostly AHL and now he's in Europe.

I got to skate at the Scotiabank Place back when it was the Corel Centre, right after a Sens practice because of a connection with Jacques Martin's daughter. Got to pass the puck around with some of the guys. There was Cunneyworth, Tugnutt, Falloon, Laukkannen, Cunneyworth, Bicanek, York, etc.

I've also met a bunch of the Heatley/Emery era Sens at bars in Kanata. Heatley actually slapped my ass and said Hey bud to me! It was weird, I think he was drunk and it was something he would normally do on the ice with a teammate and maybe he regretted doing it to me, a random guy in a bar. I said Heaterrrr to him and he said Hey Bud! and slapped my bum.

Heatley actually slapped my ass and said Hey bud to me! It was weird, I think he was drunk and it was something he would normally do on the ice with a teammate and maybe he regretted doing it to me, a random guy in a bar. I said Heaterrrr to him and he said Hey Bud! and slapped my bum.

:mellow:

:unsure:

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

freydey sold potatoes and apples to half of the habs roster this year

no kidding

YeAH. I Also gave my cap to thé gréât Mark streit oh que oui

When I was between the ages of 8-12 I used to attend a Christian Boys Camp for part of the summer. It's seems a little strange now, looking back on what were some blatant attempts at indocrtination, but at the time I remember the camp being pretty cool, with lots of outdoor activities, and I was there with a bunch of my friends so it was all pretty jokes at the time. (Although I was recently disturbed to find out that one of our counsellors was recently accused openly of "interfering with children" or whatever the PC term is these days, and threw himself under a train as a result).

Anyway, each night there would be different events planned for us - various wide games, tournaments, movie nights, and so forth - until this one night they announce that there will be a special guest. All of a sudden Paul Henderson walks into the dining hall and for the next hour or so tells us about his hockey career and scoring his famous goals in the 1972 summit series. It was pretty strange because his entire reason for being there was to tell us his own "how I found Christ" story (a recurring thing at this camp..everyone would tell us their stories) and I remember him talking specifically about his final goal in 72, and how he just "felt it" and "felt God" and told the coach that he needed to go on, and then wove in some other stuff about God and Jesus, and so on. Anyway, it was all pretty random.

It was assumed that he would be giving out autographs, but the only sports related item I had for him to sign was a small plush Jr.Jays baseball toy that had been given to me by Derwin Shea, former city councillor of Toronto who at the time was the sponsor of my T-ball team (so many memories flooding back!). So Henderson signed the squishy baseball. And that was that. I'm pretty sure I lost the ball soon after..

My Second encounter was at a birthday of some rich kid who happened to be neighbours with Jim McKenny. I guess we all knew this in advance because for some reason I had my hockey stick with me at the birthday party and I got him to sign it. Anyway, decided to play with that stick some days later only to get checked into the boards with the stick wedged between the boards and my ribs, and quickly snapping it in half against the pressure of my chest. I was told later that I was lucky it was wood and not aluminum as then the stick might have punctured my heart..and then, well, I would never have had the chance to play 94 on this website. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the ref just threw the stick out in a nearby garbage while I lay on the ice cursing Jim McKenny.

I've also met a bunch of the Heatley/Emery era Sens at bars in Kanata. Heatley actually slapped my ass and said Hey bud to me! It was weird, I think he was drunk and it was something he would normally do on the ice with a teammate and maybe he regretted doing it to me, a random guy in a bar. I said Heaterrrr to him and he said Hey Bud! and slapped my bum.

wait wait..a bar in ottawa??????

LOL

I've also met a bunch of the Heatley/Emery era Sens at bars in Kanata. Heatley actually slapped my ass and said Hey bud to me!

Today I learned Halifax is actually Dany Heatley

• 2 weeks later...