NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 Tournament Video - NEW!

NHL94ONLINE Getting Started

Check out that link above. Then I would browse the league forum pages to see when registration opens up and post that you would like to sign up. I know the Blitz league is starting up shortly and I believe that the farm league will be back in action this league for the newer players.

Good Luck

very cool. i wanna do a live tourney so bad. nice video

Agreed. Way to put us to shame.

Beavers, get in on that Minny action!

Thanks for the getting started links. In the next week or two, I will try to get together with a few of the Minneapolis guys and try it out. The guy who won our tourney is heading to Brazil for work for a couple years so it would be cool if we could play NHL94 on and off while he's away.

not really, i'm the only one. i try to get my boys into it, but they're not. btw, did you happen to see my state tourney games? you might be into it, since the hornets are in both of 'em.

The Tourney '11

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12716-the-tourney-11/

State Tourney '10

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11573-minnesota-state-tournament-2010/

The Tourney '11 Website

http://thetourney11.webs.com/

My best friend and myself growing up were the two non Edina guys in the tournament from the video above. We were NHL 95 guys our whole life. We put about 10-12 hours of practice into 94 in the week leading up to the tourney. We were surprised to learn that NHL 94 is the game that is considered tops in the series and has this website dedicated to it while 95 doesn't have it's own dedicated site. I'm sure this has been discussed in this online community. I'm curious to learn as to why NHL 94 has become the hallmark game in the series and would be interested in reading any threads with NHL 94 discussions vs. NHL 95 etc...

not really, i'm the only one. i try to get my boys into it, but they're not. btw, did you happen to see my state tourney games? you might be into it, since the hornets are in both of 'em.

The Tourney '11

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12716-the-tourney-11/

State Tourney '10

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11573-minnesota-state-tournament-2010/

The Tourney '11 Website

http://thetourney11.webs.com/

I haven't combed over the whole site yet. That's great with the updated rosters! Did you play hockey in Bemidji at all?

My best friend and myself growing up were the two non Edina guys in the tournament from the video above. We were NHL 95 guys our whole life. We put about 10-12 hours of practice into 94 in the week leading up to the tourney. We were surprised to learn that NHL 94 is the game that is considered tops in the series and has this website dedicated to it while 95 doesn't have it's own dedicated site. I'm sure this has been discussed in this online community. I'm curious to learn as to why NHL 94 has become the hallmark game in the series and would be interested in reading any threads with NHL 94 discussions vs. NHL 95 etc...

I think most people would say the reason is "gameplay"

It's great that 95 has seasons and create-a-player (I loved those), but the gameplay in 94 (sega version) seems to be favoured (certainly by me).

There are a few big 95 fans on here, and lots of SNES '94 fans (which I think has gameplay more similar to the 95 games?)

There is a thread devoted to this ("Why '94?") and here is my answer. EZE's post is also a thing of legend.

I rediscovered these games in university when I brought my Sega and SNES to residence, with Sega 94 and SNES 95, and Sega 94 was a blast to play against people with. 95.. i dunno, it was too easy.

I think most people would say the reason is "gameplay"

It's great that 95 has seasons and create-a-player (I loved those), but the gameplay in 94 (sega version) seems to be favoured (certainly by me).

There are a few big 95 fans on here, and lots of SNES '94 fans (which I think has gameplay more similar to the 95 games?)

There is a thread devoted to this ("Why '94?") and here is my answer. EZE's post is also a thing of legend.

I rediscovered these games in university when I brought my Sega and SNES to residence, with Sega 94 and SNES 95, and Sega 94 was a blast to play against people with. 95.. i dunno, it was too easy.

Thanks. I read some of the threads posted by Beaver guy and I gathered that game play vs. the computer is better on 94. I have little to no experience vs. the computer as I've always had no problem playing vs. my buddies but it makes sense to me that 94 would gather a larger following. Secondly, I gather that a lot of people write off 95 quickly as you have stated it's too simple. I have found it to be the opposite. In 95 to be complete player you need to be well versed and great with your manual goalie. Manual goalie is the key to 95 and those who master it realize that the game evolves and evolves allowing for new styles of game play. I'm new to NHL 94. In the tournament I just played in (video posted), a ton of 10 minute games were decided by 1 goal. However, the top guys would have "flop" games where nothing seemed to go right and their team would get crushed. To me it seems like the game isn't deep enough to allow guys to get so good they dominate every time where NHL 95 does. It seems as though elite guys are neutralized by the unpredictability of the game play. That's my initial impression, I could be wrong about 94 but I'm definitely qualified to talk about 95!

....the gameplay in 94 (sega version) seems to be favoured (certainly by me). There are....lots of SNES '94 fans (which I think has gameplay more similar to the 95 games?)...

wow.

stop!

Smoz, you really need to give SNES '94 a proper trial. if I had a hack with current rosters that I was pushing, I'd be all "download my ROM, run it, press start and don't come up for air until you understand!" but I don't, so don't click my signature.

Edited by trudatman

wow.

stop!

Smoz, you really need to give SNES '94 a proper trial. if I had a hack with current rosters that I was pushing, I'd be all "download my ROM, run it, press start and don't come up for air until you understand!" but I don't, so don't click my signature.

Is SNES 94's gameplay not closer to either 95 console version than it is to Sega 94?

nothing is like '95. if anything, the Genesis version of ninety flow is closer to either '95. '92-'94 are similar and '96-'98 are the same. '95 is it's own thing, to me. too jacked up for my preference, although I do play it sometimes, which is more than I can say for '93, '96, '97 and '98.

nothing is like '95. if anything, the Genesis version of ninety flow is closer to either '95. '92-'94 are similar and '96-'98 are the same. '95 is it's own thing, to me. too jacked up for my preference, although I do play it sometimes, which is more than I can say for '93, '96, '97 and '98.

Hm last time I played 95 on SNES, it felt like the passing was easier, the players turned faster, and it was easier easy to deke, so to my Genesis upbringing sensibilities it and SNES 94 felt similar -- like 95 was an extreme version of SNES 94 (too jacked up, like you say).

Oh well, both 94 versions are worth a try if you've been playing 95 all along.

(funny that both 94 sides are like "nooo 95 is closer to the OTHER console version, not my favourite one!)

Splay back! Awesoeme stuff! Love the tourney bud.

The creator of nhl94.com (Evan) and I, along with a couple other forum members (chaos and addisonbr) are working on putting on a live tourney in NYC.

Splay back! Awesoeme stuff! Love the tourney bud.

The creator of nhl94.com (Evan) and I, along with a couple other forum members (chaos and addisonbr) are working on putting on a live tourney in NYC.

When are you thinking about having the tourney? I bet a few of the Minnesota guys would make the trip.

I also grew up playing 95-98.. I played my first game of 94 a little over 4 years ago and I can say that 94 is a much more tactical game than the later ones. As for the snes version, I can't find much enjoyment out of it due to the seemingly randomness of the game play/body checking and the average of 5 posts that get hit per game

Thanks. I read some of the threads posted by Beaver guy and I gathered that game play vs. the computer is better on 94. I have little to no experience vs. the computer as I've always had no problem playing vs. my buddies but it makes sense to me that 94 would gather a larger following. Secondly, I gather that a lot of people write off 95 quickly as you have stated it's too simple. I have found it to be the opposite. In 95 to be complete player you need to be well versed and great with your manual goalie. Manual goalie is the key to 95 and those who master it realize that the game evolves and evolves allowing for new styles of game play. I'm new to NHL 94. In the tournament I just played in (video posted), a ton of 10 minute games were decided by 1 goal. However, the top guys would have "flop" games where nothing seemed to go right and their team would get crushed. To me it seems like the game isn't deep enough to allow guys to get so good they dominate every time where NHL 95 does. It seems as though elite guys are neutralized by the unpredictability of the game play. That's my initial impression, I could be wrong about 94 but I'm definitely qualified to talk about 95!

Good to see another 95er and from MN no less!