NHL'94 Forums

Dropping an unfinished game, and organ pauses?

TomKabs93

I was playing classic against dcicon today, and I have a couple issues with him to resolve here. After game one, he said "it's better to be lucky than good". Said another thing about bounces going my way and all that, then quickly exited aim, and since he has his aim set to unable to receive messages offline I couldn't respond. Big deal though I can deal with that I expect that crap lol. All through game one though, he would quickly pause and unpause whenever any organ music would come on, which I find really annoying because home goal organs are something you have to earn. Game 2 went the same way with the frequent pausing and unpausing, and then at 3:18 he said "it's all yours", and dropped. It was 7-2 in the time, and I know stats aren't all that important but things like this throw stats off and are annoying at the same time. What do I do from here? We also still have 1 game left to play.

I've seen the organ thing too, he does it for his own home organ as well lol. But really its annoying to do every single organ, and bush league play when your playing league games. I've done it myself in exhibitions, but with league games you need a higher standard. He should play it on mute if it is bothering him that much. And dropping with 3:18 left is unacceptable, look at at Jaylighter hes 1-26 and getting pounded continually he still finishes every game he plays.

Keep it classy.

lol. Don't think I need to say this, but, no, it's not acceptible to just drop like that.

It won't matter next season anyway 'cos u'll be in A.

I will make 1 comment though that I think contributes to these things: Guys like Dcicon, Eggink, Probob, certainly Sicarius and even me are B players that would like to think that with a bit of a rub of the green we could end up playing for the B championship. Last season I had the luck of getting to the finals thanks largely to the fact I had Detroit & got to play xdeath in the semis after he'd had a huge sabatical from '94.

When guys like you & Plabax who we already know are A league standard (Perhaps not top of the A league yet, but good enough to compete) & you get put in B it can really frustrate guys like Me, Dcicon & perhaps others who might have started the season hoping for a good run & perhaps a little chance of playing for a championship.................only to see there are 2 guys in there who realistically none of us can beat over a 7 game series. It makes us feel like we're playing for a semi-final spot at best because the gap is so huge it's going to be virtually impossible to close it over the course of one season.

I don't condone Dcicon dropping on you, or playing silly games with the pauses. It's not right, but I do understand the source of his frustration when he's in the B league just to make up the numbers because a couple of A league standard guys are going to blitz everyone else.

Don't think i'm taking a pop at the guys organising the league either (Halifax & Chaos). I get the "Earn your place in A league" thing too, but guys have to be playing at the right level or it takes a lot of the fun out of it for others. If you're obviously A league, you should be put in A league rather than having a 32-36 game winning season & waltzing your way to the finals where you play the only other guy who had a realistic chance.

My personal opinion is that the A leaguers have more of a responsibility to say "Hey, this guy's as good as a lot of us, put him in A" and likewise us B leaguers need to help identify the guys who are way above our level, or the guys that are too good for C (Like I see Wittgenstein has been blowing a lot of guys away).

I know in the end it should just be fun, and shouldn't matter, but there's nothing worse than feeling like you're just making up the numbers whilst an A league player blows everyone else out of the water on his way to the B title.

Ya, the placement was really weird this season. I feel really weird beating some people in C. Granted, I was really high and drunk at the time, but I kind of had a meltdown after beating someone 11-1 on Sunday night (which took my record to 17-3). After that game (it was our first of 3), I felt bad for winning, apologized for running it up, and then just coasted around and lost the next two--- I didn't feel comfortable scoring any more; I didn't know what kind of goals were appropriate to score with. (I completely stopped pass shooting, taking slap shots and cross creasing. All I did was try to skate through the slot and deke every time, which stopped working because it was the only thing I would do.) This was when I posted the thread saying I was leaving Classic.

Now sober, I may not have this problem, but I still think it is an uncomfortable situation and it is one of the main reasons why I'd prefer just not to finish the rest of the season and give someone else a chance to win. (Granted, I may not even end up winning if I stick it out. I could definitely lose; there are some talented players in the league.)

(Also, when stuff like the OP happens, it makes me not like competitive play. That is why I have tried to avoid competitive leagues and won't do classic again. For me, it's just better when you are playing with friends that you chat with on AIM and play with most nights. When I originally signed up for Classic, I assumed I'd be in a league with all the late night people that I play with late at night. Didn't end up happening.)

Edited by Wittgenstein

lol. Don't think I need to say this, but, no, it's not acceptible to just drop like that.

It won't matter next season anyway 'cos u'll be in A.

I will make 1 comment though that I think contributes to these things: Guys like Dcicon, Eggink, Probob, certainly Sicarius and even me are B players that would like to think that with a bit of a rub of the green we could end up playing for the B championship. Last season I had the luck of getting to the finals thanks largely to the fact I had Detroit & got to play xdeath in the semis after he'd had a huge sabatical from '94.

When guys like you & Plabax who we already know are A league standard (Perhaps not top of the A league yet, but good enough to compete) & you get put in B it can really frustrate guys like Me, Dcicon & perhaps others who might have started the season hoping for a good run & perhaps a little chance of playing for a championship.................only to see there are 2 guys in there who realistically none of us can beat over a 7 game series. It makes us feel like we're playing for a semi-final spot at best because the gap is so huge it's going to be virtually impossible to close it over the course of one season.

I don't condone Dcicon dropping on you, or playing silly games with the pauses. It's not right, but I do understand the source of his frustration when he's in the B league just to make up the numbers because a couple of A league standard guys are going to blitz everyone else.

Don't think i'm taking a pop at the guys organising the league either (Halifax & Chaos). I get the "Earn your place in A league" thing too, but guys have to be playing at the right level or it takes a lot of the fun out of it for others. If you're obviously A league, you should be put in A league rather than having a 32-36 game winning season & waltzing your way to the finals where you play the only other guy who had a realistic chance.

My personal opinion is that the A leaguers have more of a responsibility to say "Hey, this guy's as good as a lot of us, put him in A" and likewise us B leaguers need to help identify the guys who are way above our level, or the guys that are too good for C (Like I see Wittgenstein has been blowing a lot of guys away).

I know in the end it should just be fun, and shouldn't matter, but there's nothing worse than feeling like you're just making up the numbers whilst an A league player blows everyone else out of the water on his way to the B title.

Eggink, Sicarius, Dcicon, and Minpind can beat me in best of 7. Minpind was givin me the rapon in the ass so hard that I had to leave without saying gg.

Dcicon is A player anyways

Eggink, Sicarius, Dcicon, and Minpind can beat me in best of 7. Minpind was givin me the rapon in the ass so hard that I had to leave without saying gg.

Dcicon is A player anyways

Sicarius I think is the only one of us that has a sporting chance. Minpind has improved big time since I last played him so maybe, I don't know. All you have to do is look at the win-loss records though. Sicarius is probably the most advanced B league player that hasn't gone up to A yet, and he's 11-8 right now. I feel like i've played pretty well every game so far against you, sicarius & tomkabs & i'm 0-7 after finishing B runner-up in the spring. Granted I don't play much nowdays & am using LA this season as apposed to DET last season, but I still think it show's there's a gap there for sure.

Just saying I understand why Dcicon would be frustrated. Comes down to B probably looking forward to an enjoyable season after being a bottom half A league player for a while...........and he finds himself looking up at more guys who realistically will be finishing above him this time round too.

I could see the potential frustration amongst us B regulars but i think the status quo of earning your way into A is fair enough. There's never any excuse to logoff during a game though, i've been destroyed by the A guys but you just take your lumps for the integrity of the game.

its a fkning video game if u lose u lose just accept it and move on how is there drama being shitty that a guy is a better B leaguer than you? learn from your losses and move on.

^This. I'll admit to in the past (like GDL 5 or 6 whatever the last one I played) I would rage when playing, slamming my controller all sorts of that junk. I would never quit a game early then and never do now (just look I took a 14-0 loss vs. VC in Blitz and turned it right around to win 2 of 3). I also hate when someone pauses to cut off my goal song when I score in a home game, I'm 100% sure is psychosomatic but I feel the goal music gives me a little boost especially when I'm trying to make a comeback. So please don't pause after my goal music starts, if you wanna give a little "stick tap" pause for a nice goal please quickly pause and unpause right after the goal and don't wait for the music to start. But yeah, moral of the story is its a game just have FRIGGING FUN! Don't get so effing worked up about losing, its not that big of a deal, your job isn't on the line or anything like that. So keep calm and have fun, trust me once you start feeling that way you will get better at the game. (Again look at my records since GDL 5 I'm sure my overall winning % is much better since I've stopped taking it too seriously)

TK, as you play more and more people in the community, you'll get an understanding of each person's character. If you told your story without mentioning the name, 95% of us would have guessed who you were referring to. Quitting before a game is over, making snide comments, etc. is classic dcicon.

Naturally we try to set up leagues based on skill level, but there will always be someone who can challenge you to be better. Whoever wins B goes to A next season. Win C and you go to B.

As for Witt being in C, you should go out there and win C, and then be in B next classic. I can surely understand not wanting to beat up new guys, so let's use the experience to mentor new players into the community. That's even more important than winning. Adding people is one of my favorite aspects of Classic. Like Plabax and TomKabs now, Sicarius and Wookiee a few seasons ago, me, Robbie, ProBob before, etc. I know having a good initial experience and even a type of "mentor" really helps. So I challenge you Witt to be that person for some of the new guys. All part of "growing the game" and that's awesome.

I was playing classic against dcicon today, and I have a couple issues with him to resolve here. After game one, he said "it's better to be lucky than good". Said another thing about bounces going my way and all that, then quickly exited aim, and since he has his aim set to unable to receive messages offline I couldn't respond. Big deal though I can deal with that I expect that crap lol. All through game one though, he would quickly pause and unpause whenever any organ music would come on, which I find really annoying because home goal organs are something you have to earn. Game 2 went the same way with the frequent pausing and unpausing, and then at 3:18 he said "it's all yours", and dropped. It was 7-2 in the time, and I know stats aren't all that important but things like this throw stats off and are annoying at the same time. What do I do from here? We also still have 1 game left to play.

I can't believe you guys can't figure out what is being done. When I play someone who lags the part that lags the most is when there is a lot of audio. So I pause the game during the audio to remove the lag. If you guys would rather play with lag and audio have at it.

I also like how you immediately run to the forums like a baby who had their bottle taken from them instead of asking me these questions during the game via aim, gens chat or hamachi chat. Would have been the right thing to do.

Edited by dcicon5148

I dont think I lag any worse than the average persin on here. those games were totally fine i didnt notice lag at all really. Im not really a believer in the idea of audio causing noticeable lag, i'd rather let the game flow and the music play

I also like how you immediately run to the forums like a baby who had their bottle taken from them instead of asking me these questions during the game via aim, gens chat or hamachi chat. Would have been the right thing to do.

...and all that, then quickly exited aim, and since he has his aim set to unable to receive messages offline I couldn't respond.

Im not really a believer in the idea of audio causing noticeable lag...

Nobody is because it's made up.

Raphs quote is my point exactly. You exited aim, and dropped from gens chat. I wanted to talk to you but i couldnt. I wasnt going to post this in the forums but i was told that problems like this should be out in the open. Resolved on the forums rather than pming people who run the league so its fair.

Raphs quote is my point exactly. You exited aim, and dropped from gens chat. I wanted to talk to you but i couldnt. I wasnt going to post this in the forums but i was told that problems like this should be out in the open. Resolved on the forums rather than pming people who run the league so its fair.

So after this happening during game 1 you were silent. Why didn't you bring this up before the start of the 2nd game? Why didn't you pause either of the first 2 games at any time and bring this up on either gens chat, aim or ham? The fact that you are posting this here would make it seem like it would be something you would want to address during a game and not after.

Edited by dcicon5148

OK. Think this one may have run it's course. We get the point.

Morale of the story is: No matter how bad you're getting beat..........DON'T DROP! Mav is the shipwreck that should serve as a warning to others on this topic.

Don't think we need more of this.

I was trying to be courteous i was hoping it was a one time thing. I could deal with the pausing for a little while but when you trashed me as being lucky inbetween games, and then dropped without finishing game 2 i decided that was too far. grow up dude lol youre trying to tell me im in the wrong when you acted like a child midgame, whined inbetween games, and couldnt even finish. game 2

OK. Think this one may have run it's course. We get the point.

Morale of the story is: No matter how bad you're getting beat..........DON'T DROP! Mav is the shipwreck that should serve as a warning to others on this topic.

Don't think we need more of this.

Sorry Robbie didn't see your post till after I wrote mine

I was trying to be courteous i was hoping it was a one time thing. I could deal with the pausing for a little while but when you trashed me as being lucky inbetween games, and then dropped without finishing game 2 i decided that was too far. grow up dude lol youre trying to tell me im in the wrong when you acted like a child midgame, whined inbetween games, and couldnt even finish. game 2

I guess my question is why you couldn't of asked me in between games why that was being done. You would have gotten a direct answer and no need to cry to the forums about it. Don't worry you will still be able to run up the score on everyone else including me so just grow up and learn how to be more direct with people instead of being a whiner.

I've seen the organ thing too, he does it for his own home organ as well lol. But really its annoying to do every single organ, and bush league play when your playing league games. I've done it myself in exhibitions, but with league games you need a higher standard. He should play it on mute if it is bothering him that much. And dropping with 3:18 left is unacceptable, look at at Jaylighter hes 1-26 and getting pounded continually he still finishes every game he plays.

Keep it classy.

Pausing also kills the crowd. Not sure if that affects your team's "intangibles" or not... (crowd boost, if it exists -- which I think the manual said it does?)

I didn't feel comfortable scoring any more; I didn't know what kind of goals were appropriate to score with. (I completely stopped pass shooting, taking slap shots and cross creasing. All I did was try to skate through the slot and deke every time, which stopped working because it was the only thing I would do.) This was when I posted the thread saying I was leaving Classic.

Cross crease is never acceptable ;)

I'd stop the pass-shots, or limit myself to 1-2 goals from them in the game. It's not C material, but perhaps good to at least show that it can be done... then they can ask you about it... and gain a new skill...

Slapshot should always be allowed, because it's very stoppable with goalie control, especially if you're only doing a few moves.

I can't believe you guys can't figure out what is being done. When I play someone who lags the part that lags the most is when there is a lot of audio. So I pause the game during the audio to remove the lag. If you guys would rather play with lag and audio have at it.

To corroborate this a little, I get a disproportionate amount of game drops right after a goal is scored and a lot of stuff is going on (siren, crowd..). Which is really annoying because it looks like I dropped because I got scored on.

Might need to get more people using Kega.

I like Fruit Loops, just the Kellogg's. Don't give me some Wal-Mart off-brand Fruity Loopies crap.

....you couldn't of....You would have....
can't tell if moronic ultradick

[insert Futurama image here]

or genius supertroll.

GENS, America Online chat and Morse code for life! must... preserve... terrible methods....