NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

since I started tracking, we've only played once. You beat me 7-6, I believe on a very late goal. I was highly tilted.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:30 PM, Ozmataz_Buckshank said:

Hey everybody,

I'm also new here. I grew up with a Sega Genesis and as a wee lad played against my dad and brothers in NHL 93 (not so much 94). A few years back I got an old Sega and rediscovered the game. Originally we were most interested in setting up a good fight in 93 but I later on figured out how to deke the goalie and got hooked on the game

I have ordered a Sega USB controller and I'm wondering how I can started, play a couple test games, etc. And maybe eventually play a league? I don't know, but any help would be appreciated

Where'd you go Ozzy?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say hi. I started playing nhl 94 about a week ago... trying to figure out how to score a goal has brought me to this community!!! Just saying hi.... online play 2020???  Thanks for all the work on the ROMs this is rad BTW 

hi, Dave!  has it started to feel like a second nature?  personally, I can get into a groove with SNES NHL '94 (and later) or Genesis NHL '92 (or EA Hockey for Europe).  I am a bit less comfortable on the Sega CD and PC games circa 1994, but they have a pretty good overall feel to me.  I have never been able to get comfortable in Genesis NHL '94.  if you are still struggling to score, you may wish to explore some of these other games.  good luck getting up to speed in one of the main versions well enough to challenge online!  I have been using the site for about fifteen years and have attempted zero online games.  do you have local friends to practice with?

hi!  blueline slapshots on the Super Nintendo?!  those are rare.  welcome.

Yes, blueline slapshots goal are extremely rare but slapshots goals on SNES arent rare as people say. I got couple of videos with replays scoring goals that way and I found the pattern and which players' skills are importnat for this way of scoring. Its something I want to do in the future, put few words together, upload vids and explain how to score more often. But do not expect this anytime soon.

Hey guys,

I'm totally new and have a (most likely) very dumb question about running NHL '94 for the Genesis/Mega Drive.  Anyhow, I will be looking at the various posts on this forum as this game might soon become very important to me (apologies for being vague... I'm hoping to explain more later!!)

Oh, and go Kings! (even in '94 :) )

Matt

• Like 1

um... what?!  hi!  the whole "leave them wanting more" thing is something I have yet to add to my repertoire -- you have the teasing-nondisclosure-leading-to-interest thing down, don't you?

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha, yes :)

I had an incorrect ROM dump.  This site had the "official" one available (I really cannot stand the site that are, um, sketchy).

Apologies on the teasing!  I will not do that again :)

Edited by ECSGuy

• 1 month later...

Hello team, new to the group/forum.  Long time SNES gamer so looking forward to meeting other users and learning how the online gaming works.

Also looking forward to the NYC tournament later in April, I know thats the Sega platform but will have a go at it and see how my gameplay turns out.  Looking forward to learning from everyone!

• Like 1

good luck making the switch.  I find that Genesis action needs to be anticipated more than SNES which can be reacted to more effectively.  it is more of an RPG in that you select an option and wait as the result plays out in front of you, but you can't await your next turn while watching your button pressings play out in animation or you'll fall even further behind.  and the light players become heavy in the human-controlled checking math, but not while in the control of the AI.  and a bunch of player-control buttons are missing.

Edited by trudatman

31 minutes ago, trudatman said:

good luck making the switch.  I find that Genesis action needs to be anticipated more than SNES which can be reacted to more effectively.  it is more of an RPG in that you select an option and wait as the result play out in front of you, but you can't await your next turn while watching your button pressings play out in animation or you'll fall even further behind.  and the light players become heavy in the human-controlled checking math, but not while in the control of the AI.  and a bunch of player-control buttons are missing.

I set up the emulator and was watching computer play last night to get reacquainted with the Sega version, you are right it looks so unpredictable what AI does with the players on the ice. One thing I noticed that can be a HUGE problem is AI control of the goalies...they wander off to get the puck randomly and that can spell bad news if anyone hustles to get to the pucks first.  One timers are so unpredictably fast in Sega too.  Defenses seem to overskate a lot...good analogy with a RPG scenario. I read/heard about the light/heavy checking glitch but will have to deal with it as that is how the game was programmed....I can tell already I will not like making this switch. ESPECIALLY with the lack of one button push for manual goalie control, that makes a HUGE difference in many head to head games I have been involved in with SNES gamers....sheesh

you seem well aware and up for the challenge.  I hope you win at least one game.  the Genesis community is a far deeper pool to play in, so it should be easy enough to get some practice in before April.  have a good rookie season!

7 minutes ago, trudatman said:

you seem well aware and up for the challenge.  I hope you win at least one game.  the Genesis community is a far deeper pool to play in, so it should be easy enough to get some practice in before April.  have a good rookie season!

thanks buddy! I will be sure to get plenty of practice in before April. Not sure if it will help any but I am looking forward to it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I've been a member for quite some time, but only now have put Retroarch on my system and I'm looking to play. Lots of free time at the moment and would love to get some games in to see how I stack up. Here's a recent game. Friggin' Terry Yake.

LA.JPG

I've been here for a while, but I think it makes sense to give you guys some info on myself. I'm KTup710, most people just call me KTup. I've always been a fan of NHL94, specifically the genesis version. Played it a ton when I would visit my grandma's house when I was a young lad. Since then I've become infatuated with ROM hacking in general, but 94 is one of my favorite games to tinker with. You may know me from Skip's IIHF ROM, I did some graphic work there. When I'm not editing, I'm probably on the ice, as I've been a goalie for about 8 years now. Anyway, just wanted to give a quick bio! Hope to see ya on the ice.

• Like 2

Hey everybody, just joined up today but definitely want to give a huge big thank you to all the developers for their time and hard work putting these crazy amazing roms together! I never knew about this until a few days ago and wow..I'm seriously in hockey heaven! 

• Like 2

YO! YO! YO!

I stumbled on this site looking for good 98 info and found some cool editing tools. Decided to test my might by putting together a 98/20 build. Huge tip of the cap to all the devs and hockey fans here. I feel at home.

LETS GO BLUES!

• Like 4

On 4/3/2020 at 11:40 AM, ZiggyPaulffy said:

Hey everybody, just joined up today but definitely want to give a huge big thank you to all the developers for their time and hard work putting these crazy amazing roms together! I never knew about this until a few days ago and wow..I'm seriously in hockey heaven! 

Welcome Bud! SNES rules! You should play some of us online. It's a lot of fun!

• Like 1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Welcome Bud! SNES rules! You should play some of us online. It's a lot of fun!

Thanks man! I would love to, I play using emulators off of an old OUYA box modded with Android, I'm not sure if that'll work for online but I'd like to give it a shot for sure! 

6 hours ago, ZiggyPaulffy said:

Thanks man! I would love to, I play using emulators off of an old OUYA box modded with Android, I'm not sure if that'll work for online but I'd like to give it a shot for sure! 

That won't work with what we use within the community as a whole, but if you head over to nhl94online.com, you'll get everything you'll need to play with us, including the necessary communication via our community Discord channel, so you may find opponents for pickup(exis) games, and eventually even leagues if interested.

2 hours ago, Edge of '94 Midwest said:

That won't work with what we use within the community as a whole, but if you head over to nhl94online.com, you'll get everything you'll need to play with us, including the necessary communication via our community Discord channel, so you may find opponents for pickup(exis) games, and eventually even leagues if interested.

Perfect man, thanks! I will check that out 

• Like 1