NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 WORLD RECORD!

halifax

• 1 year later...

Haha, this recent record was for SNES. And I haven't held an SNES controller for like 20 years!

Lol! Well it's even worse than i thought!!! You must have a grafted NHL94 cartridge in the brain!!! Or 2??? Gens and SNES!!!

:amazing:

why does it have to be 10-minute periods? when I try for my personal best (around 120, I can do 111 fairly easily), I do it with the cartridge's max, 20-minute periods. seems arbitrary to use a shorter period. and easier. I haven't tried this in a while and I do have a standalone DVD burner, but... nah.

oh, and what are the other "rules" as far as menu choices? not sure why it matters.

Edited by tru

I'm interested to hear about what your strategies are for face-offs, Kinger. It must be a critical part to scoring quick goals. Do you see any patterns; do some players feel like they're better at winning draws; whats the difference between SNES and Gens for face-offs?

Seems odd that this game has been played for 20 years and there still isn't any definitive answer for how to win face-offs.

43-0 is my personal best, just for fun. Best part is the 200 body checks though. I don't have a recording of it, but it was on a genesis console at my Dad's with 10-min periods and my son dangling over me.

What most say is true - there will be parts of the game where it is difficult to score on the CPU.

post-1-0-36148400-1421947351_thumb.png

Congrats Raph! - 59 seems like it would be really tough to beat.

But let's say I wanted to TRY to beat it, just for fun, what parameters do I need to follow?

I have looked into the Twin Galaxies site before but had difficulty navigating and finding the requirements for a world record. For example, what does the video need to show (the screen, the console, you inserting the cartridge into the console, your face, drivers license, etc.)?

And where do you send the video (is email acceptable)?

Thanks in advance!

• variation-21089-image1.jpg

variation-21089-image2.jpg

variation-21089-image3.jpg

• Rules

Single Player Only, Regular Season, May Freely Choose Your Team and The Computer's Team, 10 Minute Periods, Penalties & Line Changes are optional, May Choose Automatic or Manual GoalieSpecial Rules: You must play all 3 Periods and WIN the game by at least one point. This game will use The Special Blowout Rules for final score, where it is tabulated by how many goals you have won the game by. [Ex. If you beat the computer 16-4, your final score will then be 12, which is how many goals you won by.]

why does it have to be 10-minute periods? when I try for my personal best (around 120, I can do 111 fairly easily), I do it with the cartridge's max, 20-minute periods. seems arbitrary to use a shorter period. and easier. I haven't tried this in a while and I do have a standalone DVD burner, but... nah.

oh, and what are the other "rules" as far as menu choices? not sure why it matters.

120 in 20 minutes is a pretty great score! I'm not sure why 10 mins is the Twin Galaxies record choice. You could easily make 5 minute and 20 minute variants. I agree 20 minutes would be the toughest as each attempt would be 45+ minutes and would need a longer period of computer "easiness" -- meaning a regular state where the AI is fairly easy to beat and score on. That would be incredibly boring...10 minutes is brutal enough! :)

You don't need a DVD burner these days. You can submit digitally/YouTube, which makes it more convenient. Just make sure you record your console boot up, etc. You can read the guidelines on Twin Galaxies if you're really interested.

The rules: "Regular Season, May Freely Choose Your Team and The Computer's Team, 10 Minute Periods, Penalties & Line Changes are optional, May Choose Automatic or Manual GoalieSpecial Rules: You must play all 3 Periods and WIN the game by at least one point. This game will use The Special Blowout Rules for final score, where it is tabulated by how many goals you have won the game by. [Ex. If you beat the computer 16-4, your final score will then be 12, which is how many goals you won by.]"

I'm interested to hear about what your strategies are for face-offs, Kinger. It must be a critical part to scoring quick goals. Do you see any patterns; do some players feel like they're better at winning draws; whats the difference between SNES and Gens for face-offs?

Seems odd that this game has been played for 20 years and there still isn't any definitive answer for how to win face-offs.

Great question clockwise.

The first thing I would look at is the players on my team and also what my strategy will be for the next play should I win the faceoff and if I lose the faceoff. That's true for both versions of the game. Now, when doing a blowout record vs the CPU, it's not that interesting because the opponent isn't thinking/reacting to my previous plays and my intention is the same (score quick as possible). For SNES, I primarily tried to win the faceoff back to the defensemen (Housley and Coffey) and either pass to an open F for a quick breakaway, or if they were all clogged up, I'd take it in with the d-man directly for the deke goal.

Note: About 50 of the 59 SNES goals were dekes. No one-timers, no slappers. I think the rest were crease-cuts. I'll get the numbers.

Pretty boring, and there's no real need to alter strategy each play.

It was similar on the GENS record attempt, but winning a faceoff to the winger was preferred as big slappers and crease cuts were the most effective.

Now, when it comes to playing against a human opponent, I think different strategies come into play. Who is on your team vs. the other team, does your opponent stop your quick attempt at a breakaway, can his d-men stop a speedy winger, have you developed a pattern that he is anticipating,etc. There's actually a lot I'd like to write about this (it's a section of my future strategy guide!), but will take me some time, so I'll leave it for another time (soon though). I hope to provide video/picture examples as well.

Congrats Raph! - 59 seems like it would be really tough to beat.

But let's say I wanted to TRY to beat it, just for fun, what parameters do I need to follow?

I have looked into the Twin Galaxies site before but had difficulty navigating and finding the requirements for a world record. For example, what does the video need to show (the screen, the console, you inserting the cartridge into the console, your face, drivers license, etc.)?

And where do you send the video (is email acceptable)?

Thanks in advance!

The record is actually 58 because the computer scored one. Check out the earlier post from CoachMac and myself on the parameters. The video would need to show the console, the startup, cartridge and then the entire run without interruption. You can submit on the TwinGalaxies website. PM me if you are interested and can't find the info on the twin galaxies site...happy to guide you through. Seems they restructure every year.

Btw, here are the current world records for each console for the EA NHL series as of today.

Genesis

NHL Hockey (NHL'92) - 35

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 72

NHL'94 - 58

NHL'95 - 36

NHL'96 - 21

NHL'97 - 21

NHL'98 - 24

Super Nintendo

NHLPA Hockey '93 - 47

NHL'94 - 58 (pending my score...previous 49)

NHL'95 - 56

NHL'96 - 80

NHL'97 - 52

NHL'98 - 58

I think I may try to break the '92 and '93 records for Genesis in the near future, and maybe the others, but I haven't played '95 in years and I've never played '96-'98.

Haha. Trudatman you have really set yourself up here. After years of telling us about how you're an incredible player..........................but not interested in online play you now have the perfect opportunity to prove something around here. Get your video posted.................but i'm pretty sure you've already tried & got nowhere near ;)

Hey guys. I had some alone time today so took a shot. I ended up with 56-0 win. All stars east over the sens. I even recorded it, although poorly.

What I learned is, I suck going downwards in the 2nd period. By period, I scored 23, 16, 17 goals. I had about a 3 minute run in the 2nd period where I couldn't buy a goal. Going to try again sometime.

I had about a 3 minute run in the 2nd period where I couldn't buy a goal

The "no way you're scoring" computer mode. Happens each attempt, the trick is how quickly you can overcome it.

Good luck, it'll be fun to see how far we can stretch this!

....years of telling us about how you're an incredible player....prove something around here....

you love this lie. find more than one post where I claim to be better than good. find one, even. you have terrible reading comprehension skills. you create a myth in your head and then share it with others, coloring me poorly; thanks.

anyway, I have none of the gear set up and these things are huge time sucks. I just can't put my time and effort into this right now. I have anything else to do, including working on my next ROM. I routinely had 105 through 111 in my tries in the past. I can do better, but it all depends on how long that "you won't score" period lasts. 119 is doable.

I'm pretty sure this TwinGalaxies thing is a big sham. The best player I've ever seen was this guy named AAA, he had all the high scores everywhere when I was a kid, but he's not in any of the games on their site.

• 1 month later...

I just did 74 goals in 30 minutes in NHL 94, no cheat, no hacked ROM. Sadly, I don't have any proof of authenticity, as I didn't record myself playing, so you'll have to take my word for it that I didn't cheat or anything. Here's some pictures I took.

NHL94-1.jpg

NHL94-2.jpg

I didn't score in the last 52 seconds which is a bummer. Also, I find it funny that Belfour is the third star of the game. I can't remember the last time my goalie was part of the three stars :D

Edited by BrYaN55

Awesome man but sucks you didn't record it for more proof. Like period length and stuff.... :(

Yes, It was mostly Yzerman at center to Roenick on the right, score, rinse and repeat. But the three other players did make at least 8 points but were not considered for a star it seems. I do have more pictures for those who are interested (not that it prove anything, but if you're curious about my final stats). I tried to avoid scoring with Coffey and Housley as they are too unpredictable with their low shot accuracy.

NHL94-3.jpg

NHL94-4.jpg

NHL94-5.jpg

NHL94-6.jpg

Edited by BrYaN55

goalies that get shutouts will very often get a star, based on the way the three stars of the game are calculated. you can even let in one and get it, if the shots against are high but there's little/no scoring. good stuff, Bryan.

Edited by tru