NHL'94 Forums

Hitting players after the whistle debate.

Hey,

I recently pointed out to a group of "A players", that I disapprove the way they are always and always hitting the players after the whistle, like they where 12 years old.

I understand that for a part of players hitting the players after the whistle is fun (I was doing the same when I was young...), but in competition I don't find that so cool, it's an unrespect of the opponent player I think.

I asked to stop that with a "please" for having some nice and cool games...

What a receive in response is a resounding "No" and a bunch of mockery, whats just proves me that they are effectively 12 years old...

So I just ask a question to the community : What are you thinking about the hitting after the whistle ?

Cool or not cool ? Regular or not in competition ?

Edited by Dragon

First off, sad to see you leave GENS. Think my first classic season was also your first? Remember you finishing GENS B runner up one season, then finishing 1st seed with Chicago the following. Disappoints me that one of the B regulars wont be there anymore.

Secondly, hitting players after the whistle?!!! Seriously?!!! I can't believe that's what this is about. What does it matter? It's a computer game. No one actually gets hurt if you hit after the whistle. I would suggest this is so ridiculous that you're the only one who cares about this in the whole community. It's part of the game, & it is fun.

I imagine your 2-13-0 record with DET this season made the decision a bit easier?

Anyway, like I said, sad to see you go, but welcome to Wittgenstein who i'm sure will do great in B.

On a different note, I know I haven't played for a while but basically in addition to still not being able to get back into my apartment to get hooked up on cable again (Maintenance for a leaky roof that hasn't fixed the problem) we've also had a recent death in the family & have been dealing with that. With all the long-winded drawn-out catholic ritual going on for about 2 weeks straight here in Mexico I just have no time to get near a computer to play 94 right now.

If you need to replace me for Classic I understand, but i'm hoping to get cabled up & have time to start playing again next week. As soon as I am back on with a decent connection I will also get on for my Blitz qtr finals.

Pearate bud. If this type of thing bothers you, you're gonna find it just as annoying in SNES as there are guys that do it there as well. If you play Fenty, you'll find might it even more annoying as he knocks the net off during the game during times when you have the puck so that he can get a whistle.

Pearate bud. If this type of thing bothers you, you're gonna find it just as annoying in SNES as there are guys that do it there as well. If you play Fenty, you'll find might it even more annoying as he knocks the net off during the game during times when you have the puck so that he can get a whistle.

Can we stop to make confusions here...

The Hitting, and my result in Classic Gens have nothing to do with my decision to play in SNES...

I have played a lot of leagues and seasons in Gens the pasts years with a lot of loses, and I always finished my calendar...

I play for the sport spirit , and for playing better every year. Sure I like to win, and my objective is a tittle, but I don't care about loses, it's the way to learn.

With the Gens Emulator it's just impossible for me to progress. Maybe the Americans & Canadians players can't see the difference between Fusion an Gens.

I'm on another continent and I see clearly the difference when use on a long distance netplay. Gens is just instable, often desynch and random framerate.

If I wanna try the SNES version it's to make my own opinion and see if the comfort of play is better.

That's nothing to do with the hitting dammit.

And for the hitting question, I'm not again some hits after the whistle (we can say that's a tradition), I'm just again the entire destruction of the team at all whistles...

It result an unpleasant impression of aggressiveness.

But maybe we have just a different vision of the play...

Edited by Dragon

Personally I find it hysterical when my opponent wrecks my players after a whistle, especially after a goal. Bonus points for successful checks using sideways controls when a player is being sent to the penalty box.

Hysterical, that's the word, thanks.

The Etiquette Guide says:

"Checking/Celebrating After Whistle: Some coaches like to check players as much as possible after a whistle. This is perfectly acceptable, and can be a fun side-game if both coaches like checking.

In the case of a blowout, continuing to check after you score your 7+ goal can be considered taunting, particularly if your opponent doesn’t check back."

I know I like to check after a whistle myself. My personal goal is to knock all 5 players to the ice and have them be down at the same time. I don't think I've done it yet. lol. It's also mental...if your opponent can get into your head with the post-whistle checks, that's his advantage. Somehow, you gotta let is slide.

I can surely understand how lag/desynchs/framerate problems take out the fun of the game. Maybe we should all consider trying out Kega, especially since now it has savestate ability during netplay. The only thing is lacks is video recording.

Pearate is a good dude, always plays his games, always polite. Sorry to see him go in GENS...best of luck in SNES.

Maybe we should all consider trying out Kega, especially since now it has savestate ability during netplay. The only thing is lacks is video recording.

Agreed. If Kega is better, more stable, no lag I don't get why we don't at least use it for Classic league games, then switch to GENS for the playoffs when people like to record series. Down here in Mexico I also suffer from a lot of the same problems, and can't get good ping in the servers either. I would certainly like to give it a try. It might be a solution while i'm here on this crappy wireless actually

Checking after the whistle is completely cool at all times, and it's pretty ridiculous to think otherwise. It is after all a VIDEO GAME.

Why waste the 5 seconds after a whistle and just do nothing? I figure you might as well practice checking and have some fun. I have always done it and will continue to do so. It has nothing to do with agressiveness or poor sportsmanship, and everything to do with the fact that it's a video game and it's fun. I hope no one takes offence. If they do, well to be honest, I believe that's their problem, but I guess I would try to stop if someone asks.

If I score, I usually skate my guy offscreen so he can't be checked.. If I'm scored on, I'm going after the goalscorer.. it's a bit of rage therapy.

I personally hate Kega becasue for whatever reason it doesnt let you adjust the window size. seems like it'd be something easy for them to fix but they never do.

Also, I hate when people check after the whistle! :victory:

http://blitz94.com/coachstats.asp?orderby=LCpG&season=0&playoffs=false#table3

oopz

a few things:

Kega over Gens by leaps and bounds

checking -> crowd noise changes -> possible effects of a skill multiplier

sideview checking = an awesome achievement

Haha... I love this thread. Sideview checking on SNES is almost impossible. I have a theory that it's because the controls change when the screen switches on SNES. On Genesis if you hit up your skater still skates "up" the ice, but on the screen "up" looks like what used to be "right" on the normal view. It's kind of confusing because the view changes but your controls don't. So what looks like "left" you need to hit "up" to go that way. Like sort of what happens when you get shot by cupid's arrow in Toe Jam and Earl. But on SNES the controls change, and when it goes to side view then up makes your guy go "up" on the new look screen.

And as the guy with the 2nd highest checks after the whistle on the Blitz stats, I can say that checking people after the whistle is an art form and makes for a fun little side game during those 5 or so seconds after the whistle blows. Seriously, why just stand there when you can smash some guys? It's not taunting... although I will stop checking a guy so much after the whistle if he isn't fighting back. But to me it's fun when the other guy checks back especially when 2 players go at each other lol. Crushing guys into the boards is great. Flipping them into the bench/penalty box is the best.

Agree hitting after whistle will never go away

esp in A league!

MAN UP

but seriously its all in your head, if your letting it bother you. Change your thinking instead of trying to change everybody, because most of us love hitting after whistle.

And I've practiced the side hitting into the the penalty box, thats the best.

Agree hitting after whistle will never go away

esp in A league!

MAN UP

but seriously its all in your head, if your letting it bother you. Change your thinking instead of trying to change everybody, because most of us love hitting after whistle.

And I've practiced the side hitting into the the penalty box, thats the best.

I'm not trying to change anybody, I was just asking a question.

I know clearly that the most part of the players take pleasure with the hitting. And I have no problem with that.

My disapprove concerns what is stipulated in the Etiquette Guide :

"In the case of a blowout, continuing to check after you score your 7+ goal can be considered taunting, particularly if your opponent doesn’t check back."

And I check never back...

According to the blitz stats, pearate has the lowest late checks per game at .3. Also, the "B" league seems to do far less post whistle checking than the A leaguers. Not sure what it all means, but the fact that I'm the highest late checker around and I've always gotten along w Pearate (unless you never told me, sorry) so I guess its just a difference of preferences.

Hitting after the whistle is just fun/funny, it's not aggression. Maybe a few people feel differently when they hit, but for me it's just a fun thing to do rather than sit there and stare at a screen. Also, I added the after-the-whistle checks stat to the Blitz site because it's a fun challenge to try to get lots of them. When I get scored on, my goal is to knock down all 5 players, which I've done a few times (and it's in one of my videos where I take out the whole Kings team after a goal). Also funny when you both check each other at the same time and one guy goes down and the other stays up.

I do usually lay off the post-whistle hits if I'm blowing the guy out, though, in case he feels it's rubbing it in.

And side-view hits throwing the guy into the penalty box are amazing.

B leaguers, get it in gear!!

Hitting after the whistle is part of the game. Personally, I like doing it because it helps me get a feel for how my players are moving with such variables as latency and hot / cold. Moving around doesn't necessarily mean you need to blast your opponent, although when they're right up against the boards it's pretty much irresistible. I also like taking big slapshots into somebody's nuts. After goals I like to skate over toward my teammates. It looks pretty cool when they push you up against the boards where you all celebrate with your fans.

I'd like to point out that I followed the rules of etiquette in Blitz B this season with lots of checks before the whistle and not many afterward. Generally I don't go too crazy until the other player escalates things. For the playoffs I may need to follow the great smozoma's suggestion to "get it in gear!!" :anger:

but if it does help your skills by boosting a crowd-driven multiplier, or if it hurts you opponent in the opposite way by killing their crowd's energy, it is an effective strategy and the players that don't do it should learn to hit after the whistle.

it sure does on the SNES.

Also, I added the after-the-whistle checks stat to the Blitz site because it's a fun challenge to try to get lots of them.

How did you manage that??

Personally, I've never really cared whether I've checked after the whistle or not. During 2on2 hell yes, but GDL or Classic, it was never really my intent. All it does is boost your checks per game. But if it can be tracked as separate stat, then let the hits go.

I know in 2on2, I let my player body language do the talking after the whistle:

If my team scores a sweet goal or I get a sweet pass to set one up, I'll go over to my teammate for the celebration.

If the other team scores, I will try to chase after them and check them.

If I make a bonehead play with gc, I'll make the goalie lay down like he's an idiot (me).

If I'm frustrated in general I will just skate off screen.