NHL'94 Forums

2017 NHL'94 bud of the year!

halifax

The 2017 NHL'94 Bud of the Year award goes to @slapshot67!

Once the NHL announced that they would be expanding to 31 teams, many wondered what would happen to the existing 30 team rom. I think most thought one team would have to be sacrificed in the rom to make way for the Vegas Golden Knights. However, Slapshot67 took this on and seemingly made it look easy. The rest of us benefitted and we can’t thank him enough for the time spent on this.

Additional buds who should be recognized.

@naples39- created his version of the nhl18 rom

@skip – assisted Slapshot67 with creating their nhl18 rom and ran VHL online league

@Brutus – Ran Et tu Brute and then looked after the second season of Plablegs

@chaos - continues to keep the nhl94online.com site going with updates and ensuring leagues are set up (set up 9 online leagues this year). Helped run tournaments in New York and Connecticut. He set a world record in co-op mode for nhl94 with KingRaph.

@McMikey – screened Pixelated Heroes at Ko94 II after his last 3 years of hard work.

@King of 94' WI - organized the king of 94 tournament in Wisconsin and continues to promote nhl94 with live streaming of games.

@CoachMac - created some new roms and ran three online seasons of the premium retro league in a short amount of time.

@kingraph – Constantly helping new people get started with online play and spent time not just helping the NHL'94 hacking commutiering but  the NHL95 community as well. He also helped run tournaments in New York and Connecticut. He set another world record in co-op mode for nhl94 with chaos.

Settle it on the Screen team – An amazing job on the King of 94 stream in Vegas this year.

@smozoma – continued support of helping the online editing community.

Previous Winners

2009 - Smozoma

2010 - Smozoma

2011 - Smozoma and @dan_lizhot

2012 - Smozoma and @DaDonch44

2013 - Kingraph

2014 - Chaos

2015 - McMikey

2016 - @angryjay93

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

can we have a "Hali's least-favorite members" thread?  I could make that list!  the runners up list is kind of insulting to those other members who do their best to contribute significantly and appropriately.  the cool-kids clique is exclusionary.  would Plabax have made the list if "A, B" was from 2017?  I assume not because he is bullied and marginalized, too.  (and my case shows that changing his approach to a kinder one will only make actions against him harsher.)  had I stayed active in churning out ROMs would that have been marginalized because Genesis players hated my gentle teasing a decade ago?  almost definitely.  the top-down reinforcement that onlag games have more value than nondisfunctional ones is weird, but popularity is an enticing drug to those drawn to power.  closing threads to replies out of a staffmember's personal feeling that the discussion is not valid or interesting degrades the openness of exchange of thoughts and efforts.  locking a continuously generous contributor from entire sections of the message board out of some misplaced sense or revenge or spite or anger is petty and also degrades the overall value of our collective resources.  this place needs a new approach to its leadership.  cruel actions have no place in our community.  please do not take this as an attack -- it is not.  I truly think that we need better leadership.  my intent is continuous improvement of the community in general and the continuous improvement of the goals and intent we have in mind as we interact.  I do not mean give me power, I just mean restrict these negative actions from those degrading us all.  I do not want a war, honestly.  this thread is intended to praise those making a positive impact and there are plenty of contenders in the revival around here.  it reeks of elitist same-old cool kids club.  what about the dude who made those business cards?  he shared them with me so he is out of the club based on that alignment?  that is how it seems.  these folks are great, of course, but the list seems to be exclusive, marginalizing the strong efforts of your nonfriends, Halifax.  shall I expect this post to disappear and some demerits to be added to my account?  I assume one or the other, at least.  and that is indicative of the general issue which I see as needing to be addressed in the quest for fairness and equality.

that posted, thank you VERY much, Slapshot and others doing things.  all efforts are appreciated.  how many more teams could be added?  are there limits from ROM size or unexpandable tables?  100-team ROM!

that's awesome.  sorry for my rant about the mentions list -- I just really want this place to be more welcoming, inclusive.  I hate seeing the cycle of newcomers failing to connect and I really feel that there is a stifling effect when they try hard to engage an-  ...well, anyway...

the joy in hacking these old hockey games is beautiful and the sharing that love is totally deserving of a cool title.  for real, expansion is a huge deal.  thank you.  that will certainly improve the community and I in no way mean to suggest otherwise.  here's to all the cool stuff it will lead to!

I'm a dude with a very little brain indeed && as such, I can't afford to get dumber, but I feel every time I read one of your rants I somehow manage to become so.  Troll somewhere else .  There is no club.  It's just you by yourself because you have to be the biggest douche I've ever crossed.

Congrats to Slapshot.  Always appreciate the "work" you guys do that enable me to play the game online with people from all over the world.

Bud of the year, this "buds" for you :)

1 hour ago, Brutus said:

I'm a dude with a very little brain indeed && as such, I can't afford to get dumber, but I feel every time I read one of your rants I somehow manage to become so.  Troll somewhere else .  There is no club.  It's just you by yourself because you have to be the biggest douche I've ever crossed.

i understand where you are coming from, but I think tru makes a good point. The runner-up list excludes people that aren't a part of a select list. Look how halifax deliberately didn't put me on the list (again). With AJ and kingraph having bud of the year awards, I would definitely have one too if my reputation weren't tainted.

• Haha 1

Come on guys, really? Slapshot67 put a ton of work into making this 32-team ROM almost perfect, and ON SCHEDULE :-)  I cannot thank him enough because I love updating the rosters each year and thought we were lost with the addition of Vegas. 

Slapshot made it happen. Can't say enough about his talent to get that done. He told me a few months beforehand that he figured it out, but it'd take some time. I was so happy that I could still waste hours every month updating the tiniest roster improvements hahaha

My recommendation for 2018 bud of the year will be whomever can fix the Winnipeg player card glitch in the 2018 ROM lol nobody can figure it out!

1 hour ago, Premium said:

i understand where you are coming from, but I think tru makes a good point. The runner-up list excludes people that aren't a part of a select list. Look how halifax deliberately didn't put me on the list (again). With AJ and kingraph having bud of the year awards, I would definitely have one too if my reputation weren't tainted.

Bud of the year doesn’t go well with persistent drama. I think you are often right, but it is part popularity contest. Right???

I have no idea what @slapshot67 did but thanks anyway! 

Edit: I didn’t realize we were talking about the runner up list. Plabax for runner up!

Edited by kylewat

Yeah plabs, I'm not arguing against your never included on a list argument, because as a champion of numerous leagues, creator of Plablegs, discoverer of C/b for Gens & constant poster, it's hard to not give you a mention in previous years.

i don't put you guys together & aside from being not held in favor by forum admins, I find that's where your similarities end.

That said, this year, you only brought the part of your contribution of being a pain in the balls :)

8 minutes ago, Brutus said:

....this year, you only brought the part of your contribution of being a pain in the balls

hehe.  for sure.

Ok I'm must be losing my mind if that was this year.  I ran Et Tu Brute AFTER & then thought we had the failed Summer League.  

also, I bust tru's balls & think he's paranoid & a forum troll, but I promise you, if was EVER in his neck of the woods, I'd be sure to ask for an invite.

and while I'm in the holiday spirit, I'd like to remind those guys passing through Chicago in 2018 to do as Raph & Ice both did & meet up for a beer!

In case I ever come across as anything other than a guy willing to bust balls, laugh, have fun && an open door, please know that's all I am about.

Ask anyone who showed at Toronto.

Anyhow, if Plablegs ran in '17 the entire voting structure is under SUSPECT!!

Additional buds who should be recognized (feel free to add your own).

@aqualizard - For working push this community forward with some forum clean-up, and generating new interest in online play

@Premium - For running (and winning) his penalties-off league and identifying the C/B check

@Brutus - for running the Et tu Brute league - which was an awesome fun blitz-style league

5 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Additional buds who should be recognized (feel free to add your own).

@aqualizard - For working push this community forward with some forum clean-up, and generating new interest in online play

@Premium - For running (and winning) his penalties-off league and identifying the C/B check

@Brutus - for running the Et tu Brute league - which was an awesome fun blitz-style league

Thx Jer but I'd already made the list :)

Congrats @slapshot67

NHL 95 Community doesn't give bud of the year but we would name any child produced in 2017 " @kingraph " to honor his work on NHL 95 team rom.  But since we all have vasectomies now.. I guess we just will do a shot in his honor.  

• Haha 3

• 2 years later...
On 12/20/2017 at 10:01 AM, segathon said:

Congrats @slapshot67

NHL 95 Community doesn't give bud of the year but we would name any child produced in 2017 " @kingraph " to honor his work on NHL 95 team rom.  But since we all have vasectomies now.. I guess we just will do a shot in his honor.  

Dang, I already named my child that was born in 2017.